I3 550 vs Q6600? Reason for game running slower after upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Hey folks. My friends computer died and the repair shop said it was because of the mobo and ram being incompatible, I call BS on that since it worked fine for 2 years and I can't see how a mobo which is similar to mine would have any issue with mid of the range DDR2 PC6400 ram. More like the RAM went bad and they decided to replace the lot.

They decided they had to replace her mobo, ram and CPU...sure.

Anyway now they've given her the following...

Intel i3-550

Corsair XMS3, 2x2GB DDR3

Gigabyte H55M-D2H

basically they've given her a new PC tbh...not necessary.

It seems fine and a little faster for most things...but she plays an online MMO and he says it's actually gotten slower..

if it helps the game is called Eden Eternal. Basically it's choppy all the time, not running smoothly at all, where as it did before with no issues.

since her GPU is still the same and she still has 4GB of ram, with DDR3 logically being an improvement. I can only think the processor is a problem?

Any ideas guys?

The requirements for the Eden Eternal is pretty low, so the i3-550 should be able to handle it with no problems. Could be something else causing the slowdown, have the hard drive been reformatted and installed with a fresh copy of windows? Driver problems?

Hows the internet connection, any problems with that? Maybe the router, or network settings aren't set properly slowing down the speed.

Update: No offense or anything, but I just got to make sure. The monitor cable is connected to the video card and not the on-board video right?
Also, any kind of overheating coming from the cpu which might cause it to throttle during gaming?

I don't think it would be the GPU paton nothing has changed in that regard but erm we have a problem...

Can coretemp get it wrong? It seems fine for me and it has shown the right processor details for her, but it's showing temps for the two cores of 99-105c for both idle and when playing Eden eternal...that can't be right..well I really hope it isn't right. Isn't the usual working temp for I3's 60-65c and a usual high something like 75? If these temps are correct clearly I imagine it's attempting to throttle down to avoid damage..she's noticed having a program up and webpages in the background is a bit slower then it was...this could explain it if coretemp is right. The folks down at the PC repair shop installed it...possibility screwed up the installation of the heatsink?

Brinks monitor is in video card, internet is fine and they haven't touched the OS/hard drive.

Isn't an i3 550 about half the cpu a Q6600 is? I guess I will be the one to say it, but if you go from 4 cores to 2 cores that is gonna limit cpu intensive tasks like mmo's and so on. The Q6600 was top of the quad core line and the i3 is an entry level cpu.

coretemp has gone right down to 40c as the PC was put in sleep mode, after turning it on it rose steadily back up to those extreme temps with it just idling on the desktop..so it was probably a legit reading? Here's a screenshot of both programs reading the same thing, it went from 40c right up to this within two minutes.

tempss.jpg

The CPU should not be at 102-105°C, that's just unsafe. From what I've seen the max safe temp is 72.6°C, but shouldn't even reach that regularly.
My guess is the repair shop either didn't seat the cooler properly, or messed up the paste.

I'd bring it back to the shop and make a stink, demand they fix it free of charge, and make sure its running at reasonable temps before you leave the store.

The CPU should not be at 102-105°C, that's just unsafe. From what I've seen the max safe temp is 72.6°C, but shouldn't even reach that regularly.
My guess is the repair shop either didn't seat the cooler properly, or messed up the paste.

I'd bring it back to the shop and make a stink, demand they fix it free of charge, and make sure its running at reasonable temps before you leave the store.

Agree!

Isn't an i3 550 about half the cpu a Q6600 is? I guess I will be the one to say it, but if you go from 4 cores to 2 cores that is gonna limit cpu intensive tasks like mmo's and so on. The Q6600 was top of the quad core line and the i3 is an entry level cpu.

This is absolutely wong.

Just because its a quad vs a dual, or entry vs "top"

The q6600 was the entry lvl quad.. its shine was its overclocking, not that it was great stock
Check anandtechs tests on the i540 vs q6600:
AnandTech - Bench - CPU

Theyre bout even, with the i3 ahead on all tests, even far cry fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom