Computer shuts down when under heavey load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiiral

Beta member
Hi

I'm having a huge problem with my laptop. When I try to use Photoshop CS5 on its own, the laptop is fine. But if I try to use it along with media player or a film playing at the same time, it shuts down without any warning. It doesn't only happen with Photoshop though, I just used that as an example because it happens most with it.

I'm 99% sure this isn't an over heating issue as I have cleaned the insides very well 3 times and the laptop isn't blowing out warm air anyway.

Here are two reports:

Dxdiag Report (.txt):

DxDiag.txt

AIDA64 Report (.html):

Report.htm

What temps are you getting? Laptops, although you thoroughly clean them, can get overheated. Show us a screenshot of HWMonitor.

OK, I wrote the wrong title for the thread.... It's not only when under heavy load. I went to open a folder of only 20 pictures this morning and went to click the next button and the laptop shuts down... this happened 3 times in a row!! I didn't even have any other programs running and this was withing about 1 minute of the laptop being turned on.

Anyway, here is a SS of HWMonitor

captureap.png

Yeah, not a heating problem. Did you ever get a BSOD? Even if not, I'd look at your RAM. Try running Memtest86+ for at least 2 passes. See if it brings up any errors.

These aren't load temps so its not useful.

I'd suspect a graphics card issue.

Judging from your report...... its mot likely your gpu....... I think this because i had to opedn your report twice cause i thought it wsa my report...

We have the same laptop and my 9600 did it to... in like 10 secs my gpu would over heat and shut off. Get a load temp. And try cleaning out the gpu duct.

Check your nvidia graphics card drivers please.
Can you verify if those have been updated recently and the problem has just started during the past week or 2 ?

The reason why I ask, some graphic cards may have gotten a bad update during july-august.
My own GT430 locks up over 5 minutes with the new current drivers.
Revert those back to March or April release of drivers and see what happens.

Ran the Memtest and resulted with 0 errors. I find it odd how it only powers off as soon as I click the mouse when doing certain things. Also, I can't run the laptop with the battery in. The screen starts to flicker bright - dim (as though it's swithing from AC to DC (Mains power to battery power)) Then after about 30 seconds, power out. There is also a ticking noise when the screen starts to flicker near the jack input and from the box on the AC power line. I'm thinking it's a problem with the adapter but there is no way of me getting a new one from a shop to test as Portugal seems to be very backwards with computers.

Oh, and the GPU temp is idling at 55C

Check your nvidia graphics card drivers please.
Can you verify if those have been updated recently and the problem has just started during the past week or 2 ?

The reason why I ask, some graphic cards may have gotten a bad update during july-august.
My own GT430 locks up over 5 minutes with the new current drivers.
Revert those back to March or April release of drivers and see what happens.

This started to happen about 2 months ago. Just haven't really been around to get it sorted. I have the latest drivers now since 1 week ago but it started happening a few months ago way after I updated the drivers back then.

Lets try this first and see what happens.... :)
Uninstall your graphics card drivers fully, once uninstalled and your laptop rebooted.
Open up that same picuture again and see what happens....
If it doesn't black out and shut down, this means it was a bad graphics driver pack like I thought.
If it does go out again, reboot, go to the start menu,type event viewer, and look forany alerts windows 7 pro may have picked up.
If it points out to the chipset driver in a summary or graphics card directly it's the problem.

Also reinstall with this and that should correct the problem you maybe encountering for now.

NVIDIA DRIVERS 267.76 WHQL

OK, followed your instructions but this time I was able to click through the images but as soon as I clicked through them fast, power-out.

The only thing in the event Log are these 2:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 29/08/2011 19:38:10
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Ben-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-29T18:38:10.818011100Z" />
<EventRecordID>5591</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Ben-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

and

Log Name: System
Source: EventLog
Date: 29/08/2011 19:38:18
Event ID: 6008
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Ben-PC
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 19:37:27 on ‎29/‎08/‎2011 was unexpected.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="EventLog" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">6008</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-29T18:38:18.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>5587</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Ben-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>19:37:27</Data>
<Data>‎29/‎08/‎2011</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>4302</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Binary>DB07080001001D00130025001B001F02DB07080001001D00120025001B001F02600900003C000000010000006009000000000000B004000001000000AB010000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom