Graphics Card Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian1649

Baseband Member
Hello all.

So i am getting a new graphics card. I only have a 300Watt power supply which i have recently learned is a serious limitation. First i was wondering if this graphics card would work :

Newegg.com - XFX HD-667X-ZAF3 Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

And if it would, i was also wondering if it was better or worse compared to this card:

Newegg.com - MSI N440GT-MD1GD3/LP GeForce GT 440 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

The HD 6670 outperforms the GT 440, but its recommended you have a 400w PSU for the 6670 on the AMD website.

Strangely, I found this review that put the peak power consumption at only 194w. Perhaps AMD is just being overly cautious, if you have a quality 300w PSU it may just be able to run it.

Thanks for that link. So how would i be able to find what model power supply i have? i was already told what wattage it was but i would want to figure out if its quality as you said.

Easiest way is to open up your case and have a look. Your power supply should have a sticker on it with all the wattage/amperage information, as well as the name of the manufacturer.
If you can't find a name there should at least be a model number that you/we can backtrace to the manufacturer.

ok this is the model of the power supply: atx0300d5wb

and while were here i have a quick question about hard drives. if i were going to build a computer would i want to get a 6Gb/s transfer rate HDD?

Looks like a generic PSU from a Dell. To be safe, I'd stick to the GT 440.

I don't believe current mechanical hard drives can saturate a 6GB/s transfer, not even sure they can do 3GB/s. Honestly though, the prices are very similar, and strangely enough the 750GB WD Caviar Black 6GB/s is cheaper than the 3GB/s version. Go for whats cheaper, don't think you'll notice a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom