***Need advice on new build***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janos20

Solid State Member
I am almost starting over with my gaming comp. Here are the parts I am re-using;

Ultra computer case
Corsair 700watt psu
GTX-460 graphics card
Asus DVD drive
WD 250gb HD

Here are the components I am thinking about buying;

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD MBO
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (2 x 4GB)240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600(PC3 12800)
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W

I need to keep the parts under $400

Any thoughts or critiques to this build? My last build was decent enough, but really not what I wanted. I'm trying to get something that's gonna last me several years

I did also think about getting AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core, to save #30, but I was thinking a 6 core would last me longer.

Go for the X4 965BE, by the time games use 6 cores you'll be ready to upgrade again anyway.
Like the motherboard, but which RAM are you looking at, there are a few in the Ripjaws X family (all good).
Total = $325 (with the RAM link below)

Could also get:
Open Box: Asus P8P67 (REV 3.0).
Intel i5 2500k.
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CAS9.
Total = $395

Also, are both your DVD drive and hard drive SATA? because neither motherboard has IDE connections I can see.
Also, do you have the retail or OEM license of Windows? If its OEM the license is tied to your old motherboard and will have to be re-purchased.

I really don't like Asus, my last board was an Asus and it sucked. The built on Lan never worked and I had to go into the BIOS and disable it because it clashed with my pci Lan card I used. So Im trying to avoid them. Also I like AMD better because they are cheaper than Intel for what at least looks like similar specs. If am wrong on that, or someone can show me an equal set up regarding price that uses Intel, I'll gladly look into. basically I wanna avoid what happened with my last set up where I got a board with issues and then I wasn't fully able to enjoy playing games.

Thanks for the advice Roark, does anyone else have anything advice to help me out?

If you don't like Asus here are other options, Gigabyte and MSI P67 Boards, and cheaper than that open box Asus. Though I will say that every manufacturer makes their fair share of lemons, if you spurn a company and jump to the next for it, eventually you'll run out of options.

With one of the above boards its a $55 difference between AMD and Intel. If you're a fan-boy, or find $55 to be too steep then that's cool, AMD makes a great processor. But, just because specs look similar doesn't mean they perform as such.
AnandTech: Phenom II X6 1090T vs i5 2500k.
AnandTech: Phenom II X4 965BE vs i5 2500k.

Just trying to help you get the best bang for your buck under the budget you posted.

Honestly that Intel CPU is a little too much for what I can spend. I liked the MSI board you suggested because the layout seemed great to eventually put two graphic cards in there. However the price for everything I needed put my total at 425ish, because my DVD drive needs to be replaced. I forgot I'm still using an IDE drive and need to get a SATA drive, since most of the new boards don't have IDE connections, or if they do the reviews on them say they rarely work.

So here is what I have in my shopping cart so far;

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

All that brings my total to about $206

So that leave about $200 for a motherboard. I want to make sure I get something that will last me awhile so that in the future to keep up with games I might need to increase RAM or get a new card or CPU, but my MBO will take awhile before needing to be replace.

Any suggestions, or would it really be better for me to get an Intel CPU and Board because they supposedly work better with nvidia cards???

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007625%204017%20600007943&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&CompareItemList=22|13-131-646^13-131-646-TS%2C13-130-274^13-130-274-TS%2C13-131-636^13-131-636-TS

Here is a comparison link to 3 boards I was looking at, not sure which would be better though

If you want something that will last a while you want an AM3+ board, they are compatible with the new AMD Bulldozer CPU that is coming out... someday.
Personally would go with this $145 Asus M5A99X EVO AM3+, has everything you should want/need for quite a while.

Also, watch the double-posting, if its been <24hrs and nobody has responded edit your last post (click the pencil). Otherwise the Moderators will come for you in your sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom