Power Supply or Motherboard Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

traumatix

Beta member
Hi, I'm new to these forums, and if I'm posting in the wrong sub-forum, I apologize in advance, but I could not find a more suitable sub-forum to post in!

I bought a pre-built gaming computer a while back, and my roof leaked 1 drop of water into the top of the tower while I was gaming, and immediately the monitor went black. The computer would still turn on, but it would not connect to the monitor.

I'm wondering if any of you fellas know if this is either the Motherboard or Power Supply causing my problem. I would like to be able to fix this by replacing either of those parts (or both) rather than buying a whole new gaming rig. Or if any of you ladies or gents have an idea of another reason my computer is failing to recognize my monitor, feel free to post up!

Thanks for reading, I hope you can help me,

Mike

Sidenote:
If this helps at all, the specs I remember are:
AMD Phenom x3 TriCore
4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
nVidia 9500GT GFX Card
ASUS motherboard (I think)
500W PS (unsure of brand)

What exactly did the water hit? If it hit the case, nothing should have happened. But if it somehow got inside your case, is your PSU located on the top? If it hit the board, no doubt it would short it.

Try resetting BIOS.

What exactly did the water hit? If it hit the case, nothing should have happened. But if it somehow got inside your case, is your PSU located on the top? If it hit the board, no doubt it would short it.

Try resetting BIOS.

Yeah, it managed to get inside the case, due to the top being vented. my PSU is at the bottom, the motherboard is more likely to have water dropped on due to its location.

Bump

The water might have hit your video card also.

Unless you know exactly where the drop of water fell onto, it is hard to tell what part is causing the problem. You could open up your computer case and look around for possible burn marks or smell around for burnt smell if their are any.

You need to somehow get yourself another computer and test out each part separately to rule out the working/non-working parts.

The water might have hit your video card also.
Easy to check this if you have a video-out on your motherboard (another place to plug your monitor other than the video card).
Try taking out your video card and just running from on-board video if you have the ability.

Also, did you try resetting BIOS like MindoverMaster suggested?

Easy to check this if you have a video-out on your motherboard (another place to plug your monitor other than the video card).
Try taking out your video card and just running from on-board video if you have the ability.

Also, did you try resetting BIOS like MindoverMaster suggested?

I'm unsure of how to reset the BIOS, or what that is, sorry.

To reset the bios,
- first unplug the computer's power cord from the power outlet
- then open up your computer case
- look for a watch type battery on the motherboard
- now remove the battery
- press and hold the power button for a few seconds to fully discharge the system
- wait 2-3 minutes, then put the watch battery back onto the motherboard
- close back the computer case and plug in the power cord
- start up the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom