A Few Concerns..

Status
Not open for further replies.

StapleK

Beta member
Hi Everyone! Im super new to all of this!

These are Jacks Specs
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz (2CPUs)
MoBo: Gigabyte G31M-Es2L
RAM: 2Gigs DDR2
PSU: Antec 550 watt
Graphics: Zotac GeForce GTX550 Ti AMP! edition
Case: ATX mini tower

These are Jacks problems
Im running FurMark and within 40 seconds my GPU Temp goes up to 80c +, up from 40 normal idle temps. This sounds bad to me. Is it bad air flow in my case? Im playing Fallout NewVegas (which isnt the most demanding game) and it doesn't run very smoothly. im looking to improve this as well as all game play in general

These are Jacks question
the MoBo and CPU are a kind of outdated 775 socket and im considering upgrading. My current MoBo used DDR2 RAM and if i wanted to upgrade to a 1155 i5 CPU later im going to want DDR3 so my DDR2 RAM is now useless to me. Is it going to make a difference throwing 4 gigs of RAM into my current set up? And am i using FurMark correctly?

i am happy to supply any more information you guys need to help me out!

Thanks!

80c is not crazy for a gfx card but seems high for yours. How is your airflow? Also Furmark serves no purpose other than overheating and abusing your hardware! Furmark has ruined some of my friends cards I would advise against running it.

This is what it currently looks like
i do have concerns about the graphics card being too close to the bottom of the case with no ventiliation
tumblr_lqh1dvXxJk1qgz13wo1_500.jpg

i think that computer is old enough to where you would be better off saving your money and just upgrading. i dont think it matters where the gpu is if it goes to that temp from being punished like that.

More RAM would certainly help, but it would be kind of silly to get it. 4GB of DDR2 800MHz is only slightly less expensive than 8GB of DDR3 1600MHz, a waste if you plan on upgrading in the near future.

Considering that you can reuse your PSU, GPU, hard drive, and optical drive, it shouldn't be terribly expensive to upgrade to an 1155 setup, or even an AMD setup if you really want to keep costs down. I might suggest a case with better air flow though.

Do you have a front intake fan in your case? If so I'd try cleaning up those cables to increase air flow, try tucking the slack either behind the HDD cage, or into an empty bay (but not in front of the fan, if you have one).

More RAM would certainly help, but it would be kind of silly to get it. 4GB of DDR2 800MHz is only slightly less expensive than 8GB of DDR3 1600MHz, a waste if you plan on upgrading in the near future.

Considering that you can reuse your PSU, GPU, hard drive, and optical drive, it shouldn't be terribly expensive to upgrade to an 1155 setup, or even an AMD setup if you really want to keep costs down. I might suggest a case with better air flow though.

Do you have a front intake fan in your case? If so I'd try cleaning up those cables to increase air flow, try tucking the slack either behind the HDD cage, or into an empty bay (but not in front of the fan, if you have one).

thats what i was thinking. I just bought a cooler master HAF 912, (ups to Mindover for the suggestion!) and ill set that up and buy pieces as i go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom