Replaced mobo, cpu, graphics card, RAM -- now won't boot past Safe Mode screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoobies

Beta member
So I'm working on my mother's computer (Win XP SP2), and I've upgraded the motherboard, proc, graphics card, and RAM. When I try to boot it up, everything seems normal until I get the screen saying Windows was not properly shut down, and it suggests I boot into Safe Mode (with networking, prompt, etc.) or boot normally. When I choose any of the above options, it just reboots.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Before the upgrade, all the boot screens were showing garbled text, and the computer would not boot into Windows XP. I thought this would be the GPU gone bad, since the fan bearing was totally burnt out and no longer working. But, I upgraded all the rest too since it was about a 8-10 year old computer. The only quirky thing I can think of is I'm using a 420W ATX power supply that I had to put on a 20-to-24 pin adapter onto, since I read that the additional 4 pins power the PCIE card (I thought this was causing the no-boot initially, but with the adapter, still no go).

Here is what I have put in the computer:

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

MSI R4350-MD512H Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Rosewill 7.8" EATX power supply 24P Male to ATX 20P Female motherboard Cable Model RCW-304

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1) Was Windows reinstalled after the upgrades, or did you just plug the hard drive back in?
Windows may be freaking out because its expecting the old hardware.

2) Is it a full retail copy of Windows, or an OEM version?
If it is OEM the license is tied to the old motherboard.

If you have another machine you can plug the hard drive in to I'd do so. Pull all of the files off that she would want to save (pictures, etc) then format it. Plug it back in to the upgraded system and do a clean install of Windows, if you have the full retail version.

You could also perform a repair install of XP as it sits right now. You will have to reactivate it afterwards.

If it is an OEM version it is as Roark said. You can't legally move it to another motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom