Intel QX9750 help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtessierjr0017

Beta member
I am very new to computer building, really no background at all. Here is my problem, I have 2 kids at home, a mortgage car payments etc... So I don't have much money. My mother-in-law is worse off than I am and is in need of a new computer for her job. I am going to give her my current build which is a little old but the specs are:
EVGA 680i sli motherboard
intel core 2 duo 3.0 ghz dual core
ATI Radeon graphic card
3 gigs DDR2 800 ram
running on windows xp, just have not had the money to upgrade to windows 7

Here is my delima. I have another mobo that is an ASUS p5k premium. I can get an intel qx9750 for real short money. I have read in other forums on this site that the cpu is a socket 775. I need to verify this info. I tried to contact intel but they will not tell me anything about the cpu because apparently it was an Engineering Sample and they don't recommend using it. I know it is a 3.17ghz quad core extreme and is a 45mm chip, but that is about all I know. I want to know before I buy it if it would work in my ASUS mobo. The ASUS website says the core 2 quad q9650 will work but it says nothing about the qx9750.

Could anybody please help me out with this, keep in mind I dont have much money and would rather not buy a new mobo, if it wont work ill just find a different chip. I dont have the money to do a new build using the i core processors. I can get this chip for short money and I already have the mobo and 8 gigs or ram.

Thanks
Dennis

The QX9750 was never actually released to the public so you won't find any motherboards that will list it as compatible. With that said it is a very rare cpu and if you can find a collector you might get a pretty good sum of cash for it. The P5K should work, but I can't make any guarantees.

I believe that chip is actually socket 771. I could be wrong.

No, its a LGA775

that's what I thought, I read somewhere else that if the board would support the q9650 then it would probably support the qx9750 as well. I guess ill give it a try, whats the worst that would happen I would have to sell the chip after?

It stinks not being able to find any info on it. When I called EVGA they said that my 680i sli mobo would not work because it does not support the 45mm chip. I guess im not that good with computers to understand why a socket 775 chip would not work in a socket 775 mobo?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom