External hard drive won't recognize?

Status
Not open for further replies.
untitled-1 doesn't show disk management. i want to see disk management to see how the drives are configured for windows.

right click my computer, click manage, select disk management

Are you still going to help me by trying to get my external to work when you come online, or are you going to give up on me?

I made a screenshot for what you was looking for. It's like in one of my previous posts.

php11, please settle down. Office has not been on since you replied, or he was away. We will get to you when we can. We aren't all here 24/7. Nor is it a job, but pure volunteer.

And I am unsure what he meant by his post, so I did not reply to his questioning. Give him slack.

It's not showing up in Disk management at all, which means the enclosure could have failed.
Try using a different USB cable to connect the drive to the PC. Sometimes the cable is too thin/long and doesn't supply enough power. Pick one that looks short and bulkyish, or use a Y cable (two USB ends plug into your PC but merge into only one end to connect to your drive).

It's not showing up in Disk management at all, which means the enclosure could have failed.
Try using a different USB cable to connect the drive to the PC. Sometimes the cable is too thin/long and doesn't supply enough power. Pick one that looks short and bulkyish, or use a Y cable (two USB ends plug into your PC but merge into only one end to connect to your drive).

It's my only cable I have. I have the one that looks like a cat cable on the end, and it plugs into the enclosure. The other end, it has a cat end and also a USB. I have the USB piece plugged into my PC. I can't describe it any better.

I have the eMachines EL1200-07w

Cat cable as in ethernet cable?? Strange.
My bet is the enclosure is bad. I know you said you don't want to open it, but you may have to. It's pretty simple, all it is is a case with a normal hdd inside. If you take the hdd out and install it in your computer, we'll be able to see straight away if the problem is with the enclosure or the hdd itself.

He's another way to describe it. It's large then a cable that goes into the wall jack. You could see the color wires. Attached to that part, there is a USB cable part.

What could of free tools that I can test my HDD to see if it will fail or pass the test?

Could you take a pic?
Once you've got your HDD installed in the PC you'll be able to see if it's working or not straight away. If it works it'll show up in My Computer, if not then you should upload a screenshot of Disk Management again.

Could you take a pic?
Once you've got your HDD installed in the PC you'll be able to see if it's working or not straight away. If it works it'll show up in My Computer, if not then you should upload a screenshot of Disk Management again.

I give up. I put my hand on top of the enclosure to see if I could feel the HDD spinning. It's not even spinning. Could it be that's the HDD is done, so no tools will work?

Take it out of the enclosure, If the drive does not spin, it could be the connector that isn't turning it on. Please let us help you, but you have to try these things yourself.

I would take it out. There is one problem. I don't have a screw driver, and no kind of tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom