CPU Cores Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

VCobra

Solid State Member
Hello everyone.

Let me start off by saying that I've owned this computer since February, 2010, and it has worked perfectly up until a month ago (or so). I will post the specs a bit further down.

All of the sudden, the computer started shutting down during certain games.
I cannot play Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect 2 and Prototype for more than a few minutes, whereas I can play Team Fortress 2, Defense Grid, CoD: Black Ops for as long as I'd like. Those games are the only ones I've tested with thus far.

I downloaded CPUID HWMonitor and OCCT to see if anything is going on.
I saw that the temperatures of my 4 cores are insanely high - 60°C under no load, and when my friend sent me a BitCoin link that uses CPU processing power, the temperature started rising until it was at 99°C, after which my computer shut down. Mind you, all of this was done with my computer's side panel off.

A friend suggested I go to BIOS and reset its settings to failsafe settings (?), and the temperature of my cores dropped to 50°C average (still with the side panel off).

One friend suggests I should get better fans/cooling, while another suggests I should get a new PSU.

Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 860 LGA1156
Motherboard: GIGABYTE I5 LGA1156 I55P (GA-P55-UD4)
RAM: DDR3 4GB PC1600 KINGSTON
HDD: WD 640GB SATA2 16MB
Graphics card: GIGABYTE NV 250GTS 1GB (GV-N250OC-1GI)
Computer case:ATX GIGABYTE (GZ-AA2CB-SNB)
PSU: ATX 550W GIGABYTE (GE-P450P-C2)

I would really appreciate it if you guys could (if nothing else, at least try :) ) to help me out here.

Regards,

V. Cobra

A new PSU will do nothing. Have you cleaned out your heatsink, and/or fan of dust? At the very least, reapply the thermal paste.

I have tried cleaning all the dust I can, but I've no canned air or such to fully rid it of dust. I am a total newbster when it comes to hardware, so me reapplying thermal paste is like a monkey trying to chew through concrete.
I will, however, ask one of my ex-co-workers to take a look and see, as he is quite the technology enthusiast.

Thermal paste shouldn't need to be re-applied, just get a can of compressed air, and follow the directions to clean the CPU and GPU heatsinks out.

Thermal paste shouldn't need to be re-applied, just get a can of compressed air, and follow the directions to clean the CPU and GPU heatsinks out.

I realize this may sound quite lame, but will I have to disassemble anything?

My CPU fan is spinning at around 1300 RPM right now, under no load (running Steam + Avast! + Chrome).

UPDATE: I just tried running Mass Effect 2 windowed + CPUID HWMonitor, and my CPU Core temp. didn't go over 72°C, and on TF2 (windowed, no border) it never went above 54°C.
This is all very strange.

We jinxed it for ya. But still, get a can of air and blow the thing to ****, while computer off. Just take the side panel off, and maybe take the heatsink fan off. Very simple.

I've had the side panel off for the whole day. It's late night time here and tomorrow it's going to be around 36°C outside, so getting to that can of air will have to wait a bit, lol.

I honestly appreciate all the comments, thank you guys! If there's anything else you want to add, feel free to do so. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom