Need some advice for anything better and affordable then what I have

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBro91

Beta member
Looking for advice and suggestions for the cheapest way I can upgrade my pc specs THANKS! :)

I know nothing about my processor but i'm guessing it is outdated :/ I hope it's fine but here's the specs..

Processor: Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80 GHz 2.79 GHz
Ram: 2046 MB 2 gig (I know that i'll need to upgrade that)
System type: 32 Bit (I am upgrading to 64 Bit windows 7)
Graphics/Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 7 300 LE

I got this computer in 2006 it's a Dell Dimension E520
my gpu i know yes is very crapped looking for something easy nothing too crazy and expensive

Highly outdated now I know but it still run's game's for example like Oblivion medium settings smooth and High settings with lossy framerates
Fallout New vegas/Fallout 3 low settings and Crysis Low settings smooth

Game's like killing floor league of legends and combat arm's work fine and look nice but im thinking I need more RAM and a better video card
i'm not sure about the processor though because there's a new one every week or so.

So far Metro 2033 on low settings and high runs the slowest and is unplayable and also the stalker games on high settings murder my frames but low it's fine.

We asked specifically for dell to install parts only for gaming and yeah they weren't thinking when they only but a 7300 and 2 gb ram :/
I was younger back then so I didn't know much and took there word for it anyway's it's time for me to upgrade I don't have a good price range but I'm wondering what's the cheapest part's I should invest in that will let me play game's on high resolution with no issue's.

Once I get a job i'll work on getting a whole new computer but for now I wan't better performance.

Ok i'm looking now i'll need a new one of those most likely for the two thing's I just metioned above ^

Ok its Model is
H305N-00

AC Input - 50-60HZ
100-120 V-/9A
200-240V-/4.5A
DC output: +5V=/22A+
(i'll put the rest if it's important)

Max Output Power = 305 W

Also is there a way to dust inside that thing?? I've had it for 5 year's and never dusted it i know thats not good but there's no way to open it or anything.

Edit: compressed air I just read wow I should get on that asap

My mother board is a DDR II which I just read the vengence is a DDR3 card so does this one look ok? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Patriot-M...0000003142050&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=15773491

Taken from your user's manual "Memory capacities: 256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 GB non-ECC" so I don't think 4GB sticks will work, or 2GB.
So dropping $100 on Win7 64-bit when your motherboard won't even accept the extra memory is a waste, in my opinion.

Depending on the Amps on the 12v rail of your power supply you could get an MSI GT 440, best I could find without upgrading the power.

Honestly I wouldn't sink too much money into this, Dells are a notorious pain in the rear to upgrade. I'd just scrimp and save until you have the money to build a new computer to your own specifications.

@Slaymate I appreciate this looks really good i'll do some comparisons with local shops and now I know what I need can't wait to get thing's rollin. Now what about my processor is that fine how it is?

@Roark actually it can hold more then 2 (mine at least) as I have 2gb right now and i'm getting window's 7 this weekend for free and i may just get 4gb RAM instead I read that it work's fine.

and thank's for the power supply suggestion's i'm pretty sure my current one is on it's last leg's

Yeah i'm just getting something to hold me over until I can afford a whole new system and i'll just use the part's I get for this in it.

What I posted from the manual wasn't the overall capacity, but what each RAM socket could handle. So if you have 4 RAM slots, each one can handle a RAM stick that is up to 1GB, equaling 4GB over the 4 slots.

If you want to try 2GB or 4GB modules in the RAM slots I would seriously suggest checking the Dell forums for other people who have done upgrades using the same machine to see if it will work before you buy anything.

@Roaek oh! ok i see dang I just wanna be able to run at frames higher then 15-25 or at least metro 2033 on medium settings and if anything playable on low settings which it's not now and yeah 8gb is out of the question the 4 looks nice though

@Mike Okay! very affordable and look's great

thanks guy's this help's a'lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom