External HD Recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaper948

Solid State Member
I just purchased a seagate external portable HD for my laptop (alienware m18x). But when I connect it to the usb 3.0 port nothing happens, no recognition, but when I plug it in to any other port (usb 2.0) it works just fine. Unfortunately my laptop is the only computer I have with 3.0 ports on it so I'm unable to test it on any other computer.

I have tried reinstalling the USB 3.0 drivers and tried everything else that I could think of to no avail and as a IT person this is really stumping me. And it could be something so obvious that im over looking it.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

USB3 is back compatible to USB2. I do it myself. does this show up in Computer Management -> Disk Management? Might be a letter conflict.

That was when I first noticed something was wrong, as it does not show in there either. It would be nice to take advantage of the higher read and write speeds, which is basically why I came to get a new one with usb 3.0, But so far I'm wondering if I should have gone with Esata...

ok, I just solved my problem, there seems to be an issue from the connector and the drive as if I push on it it works like it should. looks like its time to find another one... But thanks for your time anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom