[Help] What should a modern 'for school' laptop have/require?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCall

Solid State Member
I'm going to buy a laptop for school use in college, but I'm not sure how to choose the right laptop, I know that the minimum amount of RAM should be at least 2GB and I also heard that i3, i5, i7's are good to use too. My friend also told me that Lenovo is a very good and trusted brand for laptops but what else should I look for? What other brands/manufactures for laptop are trustworthy? main question is what to look for so that it isn't going to be 'OUT' in a few years. Thanks a lot!

I haven't decided yet, but I'm going to start taking Computer Science classes soon

Did you ever get one?

Best Buy has some good ones from 600-900 bucks, I'd jsut go there and take a look at them. In fact they had an Asus on sale for like 950 that looked like a steal.

You want at least 500gb of space, 6-8gb of ram and honestly, unless you are doing some extensive graphic or gaming just about any CPU is going to be ok for you.

Personally it has to have:

12-13.3" screen so it is portable
weigh less than 4.5lbs
have at least 8 hours of battery life
have a sandy bridge processor (Core iX 2xxx)
have an IPS or other high quality display.

Basically it has to be similar to a Lenovo x220 which just happens to be my current laptop. If you don't need to run demanding games and are willing to pay the somewhat high price for one ($850-$1000) the x220 is just about impossible to beat as a college laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom