Oh, my poor baby! (system)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a 4x2GB. If I remember, it sometimes saw half my RAM. And other times, it would be fine. I'll hunt this out, though.

Edit: OK. So I tried the 2 and 4 slot configuration. I seems to work fine. I add in a third stick in slot one. Sees 6GB. Then add the last one into slot 3, only sees 4GB. OK, take RAM out of slot 1. So 2, 3, 4 filled, doesn't even start up. There is something about that third slot it doesn't like. I first thought it might be ram, but I saw not, I tried perfectly working sticks into combos with the 3rd slot, no dice.

:umm:

Leave that third slot alone (Brain), just like slay told you some or most mobo's don't like the third slot, my gigabyte 1156 and AM3 socket msi mobo didn't like it much as well when I tried to add in six gb's worth of ram sticks.
If you have to use it that badly I recommend you configure your first 2 DDR3 sticks inserted and "TRY" to drop down the speed and get the timings correctly.
After that reinsert your ram, turn off the power for 10 minutes and try it again.
If it will not sub-due to your request and jack up the speed to where it wants it, I would leave that thing alone and just continue using the pc with what you got.

Leave that third slot alone (Brain), just like slay told you some or most mobo's don't like the third slot, my gigabyte 1156 and AM3 socket msi mobo didn't like it much as well when I tried to add in six gb's worth of ram sticks

That's not what I said.

You have 8GB of memory, is it a (2x4GB) or a (4x2GB)?

If it's a (2x4GB) kit then your mobo probably just wants to use the 2nd & 4th slot. The mobo I'm using now will only start with the 2nd and 4th slots filled when using 2 sticks, but I can fill all four slots and everything works fine

Slay and Brain, this is why I replied to this thread early this morning, I was just backing up what slay said with support.
If he reads his post again he'll understand why I replied back with this info.

@ MikeFuryuken!

I don't see where I said anything about the "3rd slot". I was talking about using either "2" sticks or "4" sticks and using "2" slots (2 & 4) or "4" slots (1&3 and 2&4). But I never actually mentioned the "3rd" slot, or even the "4th" slot. And I made no mention of dropping any speeds or changing any latencies.

I'm not trying to discourage you from making any suggestions as it would not be a bad idea to try lowering the speed or the latencies to see if it helped the system see the memory. But I didn't say it, those weren't my words.

I just received my new parts 2 days ago. I was waiting for my heatsink, because it didn't come in the same box from Newegg. I'll have to call them.

But anyway, I now have an i3 2100 and ASUS P8H67-M PRO. Going great. It won't accept all 4 slots, but I am running 6GB (3 x 2GB). So, good enough. Using the Intel stock heatsink, keeping it in the low 40C range. Pretty good on stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom