Build Log: Constructing the Ultimate Computer Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fan Setup

Oh I see [hard] gets first post........ geesh...

What board is that anyway?
lol, now now, let's not get all feisty.... ;) Tell you what - I haven't told anyone else yet lol, but it's an Asus DSBF-DE if I'm not mistaken. And you know what? I think I actually installed the wrong motherboard, unbelievably... you'll see lol

After gluing a few blocks of foam together with a spray adhesive, I trimmed the block down to the appropriate size using a bandsaw.

img6270e.jpg

Unfortunately, it wouldn't fit in order to do the vertical cut...

img6274q.jpg

So I took out the trusty hand saw!

img6275e.jpg

img6279g.jpg

Here's the plan for the fan layout

img6280a.jpg

img6281z.jpg

At first I tried cutting the holes with a good quality knife, but the cuts were not very consistent and it took a long time. I ended up using an old drywall saw, which worked perfectly.

img6284m.jpg

Test fit

img6286p.jpg

Cut some more holes

img6288y.jpg

Awesome!

img6290t.jpg

Let's see how it looks in the right-hand cabinet

img6291r.jpg

LOL - hilarious. It shouldn't fit like that. At least, it didn't during my initial measurements! I'll have to tweak that a bit later!

On to the crazy fans. I decided to go with 3 instead of 4. There just wasn't enough room for foam between each of the fans, and I figured there would be a lot of vibrational noise if they were touching. I could always go to 4 in the future if this proves to be insufficient.

img6293o.jpg

Lookin good

img6295g.jpg

img6299qc.jpg

img6301f.jpg

Stay tuned! More stuff tomorrow!

Server Setup

Looks good... Least you got stuff to do in this rain.
Thanks patonb, you got that right - but the whole turning on electronics during storms still gets me irked!

I was in an extremely fortunate position recently. A friend of mine's work was moving from a large location to a much smaller location, and he had asked me if I wanted to come scope out the old office for any old bits of computer stuff that might be useful to me. To my shock and amazement, I was indeed able to pick up some pretty fancy hardware that I would have never dreamed of owning. They must have done some pretty big upgrades to leave stuff like this behind!

I was able to get a hold of a handful of Socket 775 motherboards with Core 2 Duo processors, a bunch of DDR RAM, a box full of Hard Drives, and some relatively decent (lower powered) power supplies. The real treasure though, was a pair of servers. You can see that I had already disassembled one of them:

img6301l.jpg

2 Full 4U Antec Rackmount cases, each of them containing a Dual-Xeon motherboard + Processors. Both with FB-DIMM RAM sticks as well.

This particular one contained a pair of Xeon E5410's, with 16GB of DDR2 FB-DIMM's, 4 1TB Western Digital Blacks (SATA), and the motherboard is an Asus DSBF-DE.

img6302t.jpg

img6303p.jpg

The other one contained a pair of Xeon E5335's, with 4GB of DDR2 FB-DIMM's, 5 1TB Hitachi Deskstas (SATA), and the motherboard is an Asus DSGC-DW.

Now - before we go on - someone had queried earlier about the PCI Express slot on the board pictured, and I had said something along the lines of "Ya ya, it's there, don't worry about it". I of course, actually looked at the pictures, and no, it's not. It is indeed a PCI Express 16x slot, but on this particular motherboard, it only runs at PCI8. Now, the other motherboard, the Asus DSGC-DW DOES have a PCIX16 slot. When it was released, it did not support the 54xx series of Xeon processors, but I checked the website and there is a BIOS update to add this functionality. I will have to do a test setup with that board to update the BIOS, and then it will be swapped into the desk with a full video card, both the E5410's, as well as the 16GB of RAM, so keep that in mind when looking at the rest of this update. No, unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the other motherboard.

Cool stuff either way. Never, ever thought I'd have a dual processor motherboard. What an amazing find!

These dual Xeon heatsinks mount directly into the motherboard tray, so unfortunately, I couldn't use those spiffy motherboard trays from Danger Den. Also, since they are of size "SSI", there's no way it would mount on a regular ATX motherboard tray anyways. Time to drill out a tray!

img6305qz.jpg

It actually came out pretty nice and clean

img6306u.jpg

This is a bit of a shame, since I took the time to clean the processors, put new thermal compound and remount everything. I'm just going to have to disassemble it again anyways when I put in the different motherboard. Ah well.

img6343d.jpg

img6348.jpg

img6350w.jpg

img6358m.jpg

This is a bit of a hack job getting the tray mounted... Since the processors are mounted to the tray, I had mounted it outside of the desk, so when I went to fasten the tray to the desk, I was *gasp* actually lazy and didn't want to dismount the motherboard again... so umm.. I'm going to replace those odd-angled screws when I switch motherboards..

img6362t.jpg

The power supply looks pretty good there. It's an Antec 650W - an Earthwatts maybe? I forget. I may consider replacing it with a unit that has a 120-140mm fan just to exhaust the air a bit better. The board has a requirement for a 24pin, an 8pin, as well as a 4pin, so I can't just use any power supply unfortunately.

img6364c.jpg

The cables, of course, are not nearly long enough to reach the connectors on the board. I've already ordered the extensions and hopefully I'll get them at the beginning of next week. Oh, you'll see that I've straightened out the fans as well.

img6367br.jpg

The cooling solution looks good. There will be two fans directly in front of the CPU's. I may consider putting an additional hole in the door to allow the CPU's and RAM to exhaust directly.

img6370a.jpg

There is one major issue with the right-hand cabinet setup. The original specifications called for an ATX board, which is significantly smaller, so umm.. I have no idea where the hard-drives are going to fit. lol! Fun times.

Hope you're enjoying this flurry of updates. I may or may not be able to post an update tomorrow, as I'm going camping for the weekend! At the latest, I'll be posting again early next week!

I've away from this forum for a little while, but I just got some time back on my hands and it is awesome to see how this project is going.
Man it looks sweet.
And awesome score with all that stuff, even though it isn't new, you can still do a nice chunk of stuff with those.
Enjoy man.
Nice work.

Gigabyte Board

I seen that on {h} Bugezzeous you scored out, but then agsain the xeons are aged... But your Coolness factor just hit geekness lvl 9.

Enjoy the hills.
Yup, they are certainly aged, but money is always a limiting factor and as far as I can tell, there's nothing on the market I could have purchased within my (piddly) budget that would have compared with the dual Xeon system! Thanks patonb!

I've away from this forum for a little while, but I just got some time back on my hands and it is awesome to see how this project is going.
Man it looks sweet.
And awesome score with all that stuff, even though it isn't new, you can still do a nice chunk of stuff with those.
Enjoy man.
Nice work.
Thanks a lot MyGodAL3X!

I would have given anything for one of those beautiful servers :(
Thanks c0rr0sive, turns out only one of them works though, unfortunately. I think the CPU's might still be good though

Those Ultra Kaze fans will push alot of air. I have 2 of them and not only are they loud but the CFM is just crazy.
Good to know - I'm going to have them hooked up to a fan controller, so hopefully I will be able to find a good balance

A huge thanks goes out to Gigabyte for supplying me with this amazing motherboard - a GA-Z68XUD4-B3.

Without a doubt, the coolest motherboard I have ever owned!

gigabytelogo.gif

img6309t.jpg

I could barely wait to open this up when I got it in the mail!

img6310d.jpg

img6317j.jpg

And this poor motherboard tray that had been sitting for months and months covered in brown paper - finally had it removed. It looks even better than I could have hoped!

img6322lm.jpg

Here is the test fit in the actual desk

img6328.jpg

And with the fans in place

img6329kl.jpg

I'm going to trim off the plastic tabs from the motherboard tray to make it a bit easier to build the tunnels for cable management. Also, I'm considering putting a pair of holes beneath the motherboard to pass cables through underneath. Lots of stuff happening in the next few weeks!

I attempted to boot up the Asus DSGC-DW board (The one with the PCIx16 slot) but it would not boot. I'm afraid that that particular motherboard has gone bad, so I will continue to use the board with the PCIx8 slot. Anyone have any suggestions with regards to determining the best video card I can put in a PCIx16 slot with only x8 bandwidth? I was thinking I could look at the theoretical bandwith of an 8x slot and match it with that of the video card to maximize performance (ie. no point in installing a 5970x2 in an x8 slot).

Anyways, hopefully will have a handful of updates this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom