Computer shut down/overheat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuie87

Solid State Member
Hi guys,
Been having an issue as of late with computer shutting down while playing games such as world of tanks and i am not sure which is to blame here, either the cpu, gpu or psu! Firstly i will tell you what i am running.

AMD Phenom II Black Edition X4 955 3.20ghz

Nvidia Geforce GTX 465

4gb Corsair Memory

500w Storm PSU

After running speedfan it shows my CPU running at 59-60c 100% load with a flame icon next to it. And my video card hits temps of 80-90c plus! When the computer shuts down and i put my hand on the card and on the PSU they are really hot to the touch.

I have been told this video card can get up to 100c and be fine and i have read around that the processor should not be running this hot. I'm just not quite sure which is to blame here and don't want to folk out money for nothing. The only way to stop it shutting down is to open the side and have my desk fan blowing on it.

What do you guys think the issue could be?

They should be heavy to the touch. At load, those temperatures are variable. It is probably you PSU. As I never heard of Storm. Most likely a cheap one.

Maybe you should look it up if you've never heard of them... And you've never heard of them because theyre mainly sold in Europe.

However the problem most likely is the power supply. It only has 20A on the 12V. The gtx460 needs 450W and 25A, so I'm assuming the gtx465 needs bout the same.

I'm surprised you can even run the card at a load.

If you tell us where youre at, we can suggest to you a proper psu.

On the next issue, what case do you have? 60C on a amd is warmer than it likes. I read mid 60's as its getting "unsafe"

Thank you for the reply. I'm in England so if you can suggest a power supply that would be great.

The case i am using is the Xclio Super Tower. I later found out that the max temp for my processor is 65c. The psu was a cheap one but i got it due to an emergency as my one before that died on me in fact this psu only costs £15 so you get what you pay for i guess.

Thank you for the reply. I'm in England so if you can suggest a power supply that would be great.

The case i am using is the Xclio Super Tower. I later found out that the max temp for my processor is 65c. The psu was a cheap one but i got it due to an emergency as my one before that died on me in fact this psu only costs £15 so you get what you pay for i guess.

I figured you were in the UK.

Whats your budget?

While Corsairs are nice and quality, I'm finding Antecs are becoming better overall. Same quality but a better Amp rating. Corsair seems to be riding their past greatness with little new advances.

A 550W psu will power your system and pretty much any 1 gpu setup.

If you can swing it, this ANTEC is a greart deal, and comes with 3dmark11 free.
Antec TruePower New Modular 550W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply []

But toss out a budget...

I think it might be time for a reapplication of yuor heatsink fan. Get a tube of tuniq tx-2 past and reapply. Your case should cool well.

At the min my budget is some where between £40-50 but only because my sons birthday is coming up and he is costing me a fortune :) I'm waiting on some IC diamond Thermal paste being sent to me.

I might be very tempted to go for that Antec 520. I just hope that with a new PSU it will be the end of this problem. Scan tend to get a lot of custom from me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom