Turn Computer on From a Different Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-rock

In Runtime
Hi,

I have a computer in my office, and I typically remote into it from my laptop in other parts of the house. My problem is that I don't want to leave the computer on all the time. Is there anyway that I can turn it on remotely. I have been trying WOL, but can't get it to work. I was wondering if there was something I was doing wrong, or if there are other alternatives to get a computer in another room to turn on.

My computer's motherboard is a: ASUS M4A785-M
Router: NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS

if you have WOL turned on in the bios, make sure that the NIC is also set to allow this to happen.

Logmein has all of this built into the program.

I have tried all of that and I can't seem to get it to work, even with LogMeIn. BTW how do you set the NIC to allow WOL?

Ya i am using a laptop wirelessly connected to the network. I will look into the NIC setting.

Is there something I am supposed to do to my router?

wake on ring is set to enabled in the bios
wake to magic packet is set in the nic

still won't work with log me in.

@ B-rock

Please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

it't not something that i use, so the only other thing i can do is google logmein wake on lan and this is a thread that refers to their support knowledge base.

How do I wake a computer that is in sleep mode or powered off?

By enabling LogMeIn's Wake on LAN feature, you can turn on a PC or Mac that is in sleep mode, or a PC that is powered off. Follow these steps to ensure that you will be able to use the Wake on LAN feature:

First, make sure that Wake on LAN has been enabled on the host:

From a Windows host: Open LogMeIn and choose Options > Preferences > Advanced Settings. Under Network, make sure that Enable Wake On LAN from sleep and power off is selected.
For a Mac host, enable the following setting: System preferences > Energy saver > Options tab > Wake for Ethernet network administrator access

Please confirm that the host is in a supported sleep mode (stand-by, sleep, or hibernation mode: ACPI specification S3 or S4). For a Windows PC that is powered off (but still plugged in), confirm that Wake on LAN is enabled in the computer's BIOS.

Tip: Consult the user guide of your computer or motherboard to locate the appropriate BIOS switch, (usually Wake on LAN from S5).

Please also confirm that at least one other LogMeIn host on the same LAN is online and available. For a Mac, confirm that the computer is on a wired network. Wake on LAN is not supported for Mac hosts on a wireless network.

When these conditions are met, any computer in your account that is ready to be woken up will show the Switch on this computer button. Click the button to wake the computer. Please allow time for the computer to wake.

Note: The ability for this option to function is dependent on your computer's hardware. Please consult your computer's documentation to confirm compatibility with Wake on LAN features.

Alright it turns out that all I needed to do was have it in hibernate mode. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom