Computer stops detecting hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfur

Beta member
Alright guys, so. I boot up my computer and things are running smoothly, everything is where it should be, and my day starts out fine. However, after a little bit, the hard drive disappears. I'm guessing the computer stops detecting it, though I don't know why. Note: This is a recent problem.. starting in the last month or so, though I've had my computer for about 7 months.

I'm far from technically savvy, so I kindly ask any advice isn't riddled with technical jargon.

Also, I don't know what y'all need to see in such a case like this, just wondering if any of you could possibly give me a hand here.

Ahh, clarity, it is not the C:\ drive. C:\ shows up perfectly fine, no issues with it. I've got a second hard drive, which is normally at E:\ and it is what I am having issues with.

I would make a backup of any data on that drive pronto.

Double check the data cable and power connection. If you have a spare data cable try switching it out. If your power supply has another hard drive connector try switching them also.

Touch the drive, is it hot?

I double checked the cables and touched the drive. It wasn't hot. I do know that 1 or 2 of the fans in the computer have stopped spinning, but, due to the nature of my case, I've got another fan outside blowing air in, which is keeping things cool that way. Things on the inside seemed cool/room temperature. Nothing was scaldingly hot.

What kind of drive is it? Western Digital, Seagate, etc... Most manufacturers have a diagnostic program you can download and run to check the drive.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

That's the hard drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom