Higher-end tower build question

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinedude10

Solid State Member
Hi guys. This is a build I have selected for my new gaming rig. I will not be building it myself, however, I wanted to gather some opinions on more experienced persons other than myself. I also wanted to make sure there are no poor choices or compatibility issues. Any help would be much appreciated!

-Intel Core i7 Processor i7-960 3.2GHz Quad Core 8MB LGA1366 CPU w/ZALMAN COPPER DELUXE EDITION COOLER LGA 1155/1156/1366

-Thermal paste: ZEROtherm Advanced ZT100 Thermal Grease

-Asus SABERTOOTH X58 Socket 1366/ Intel X58/ Quad SLI & Quad CrossFireX/ SATA3.0&USB3.0/ A&GbE

-12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Triple Channel

-128GB Solid State Drive SATA II for my boot drive

-SEAGATE / WD 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB CACHE SATA 6.0Gb/s for everything else. No RAID setup or anything like that. I'll eventually purchase an external drive to back stuff up.

-4x BLU-RAY PLAYER DVD-ROM COMBO DRIVE

-Two (x2) nVidia GeForce GTX560 Ti 2GB DDR5 2-DVI/HDMI SLI PCI-EXP Video Card

-Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 24-bit Sound Card

-REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card

-3X THERMALTAKE/ANTEC CASE FAN

-THERMALTAKE DELUXE CASE COOLING SYSTEM

-CORSAIR 800 WATT HIGH PERFORMANCE SLI/CROSSFIRE POWER SUPPLY

The case itself will be a IN WIN TRACK Black / Silver SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit for the OS.

What I was going for was a rig that would be able to handle any current (and hopefully newer for a while at least) games on high settings. I was going to go with a newer processor than the 960, but they're all hex-cores and I figured that would be unnecessary, plus WAY more expensive.

This build should run around $2300. I was looking to go under $2500, so this works out great.

The second generation Intel's aren't all hex-core, or more expensive.

I would change:
CPU - i5 2500k, more performance than the i7 960 for gaming, newer, and cheaper.
Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth P67, has to change to fit the new CPU, about the same price.
RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz, the P67 uses dual channel RAM and 2x4GB is more than enough for gaming.
GPU - For a few extra $ you can just get 1 GTX 580 which is 4-7FPS slower than your SLi setup, but by the time games come out that actually stress it they'll be cheap enough to snag a 2nd one for SLi (instead of having to replace both your 560s).

The rest is just nit-picky stuff.
12x Blu-Ray instead of 4x.
SATA III SSD instead of SATA II.
And personally would skip the sound card and network card, on-board is good enough for the standard user.

Wow, I really spaced on the fact that the new Sandy Bridge line is out. And the fact that I picked a SATA II instead of III SSD. Thanks for pointing that out. The network and sound cards listed were on-board, as well.

Anyways here's my new set-up. A little more expensive since I threw out the dual 560s, like you mentioned, and instead factored in a GTX 590. Figured I may as well go for the best possible card instead of the 580? Thanks for the ideas Roark.

-Intel Core i5 Processor i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB QUAD CORE w/ZALMAN COPPER DELUXE EDITION COOLER LGA 1155/1156/1366

-ZEROtherm Advanced ZT100 Thermal Grease

-Asus SABERTOOTH P67 REV 3.0 Socket 1155/ Intel P67/ Quad CrossFireX & Quad SLI/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

-8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Dual Channel w/(2X) COOLMAX MEMORY HEAT SPREADERS

-Boot drive: 128GB Solid State Drive SATA III

-Secondary drive: WD BLACK 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB CACHE SATA 6.0Gb/s

-12X BLU-RAY PLAYER & DVD-RW COMBO DRIVE

-22X DUAL LAYER DVD-RW W/LIGHTSCRIBE

-nVidia GeForce GTX590 3GB DDR5 3DVI/MINI-DISPLAY PCI-Express Video Card

-REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND (onboard)

-REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)

-Case: IN WIN TRACK Black / Silver SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

-THERMALTAKE/ANTEC CASE FAN x3

-THERMALTAKE DELUXE CASE COOLING SYSTEM

-CORSAIR 800 WATT HIGH PERFORMANCE SLI/CROSSFIRE POWER SUPPLY

-Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Will the Corsair 800W supply be stable enought for the 590, or would I need to upgrade that as well? Will I still be able to use my VGI/HDMI monitor with the 590? I'm not familier with DVI... Comes out to be close to $2500 factoring everything in now, which was my limit to begin with.

Also, I realised I should have posted this in the high performance section. My apologies.

The GTX 590 requires a 700w PSU, so you will be fine with the Corsair you've picked.
It has an HDMI-out, so as long as you have a cable you're golden with the monitor.

As to the GTX 580 vs 590, its personal preference. The 590 is a beast, but its not really necessary for any games yet, its more of a gloating factor. Considering that the 580 is $100-$300 cheaper, I'd be more than content to get one of those and then at a later date grab another 580 for SLi if I was feeling saucy.

I'd actually probably take the extra $ and put it toward a Corsair AX850 or OCZ Z/ZX 850w. They are modular, 80+ gold efficient, and would have the juice to run two GTX 580s.

I'm once again with Roark. The gains of a 590 over the 580 isnt worth the money, and up the psu to allow for a 2nd card. The only thing though, is when you want to get a 2nd 580, much better cards going to be released and will cost less that you'll just buy it and ditch the old decrepit 580.

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate it.

I'll be going with the 580 3GB then. And a new case as well: The Cooler Master HAF RC-922M.

And, one more question; Since Slaymate suggested I ditch the Zalman heatsink for the processor, it got me looking at other cooling methods. I came across the newer water cooling systems, such as the Antec Kuhler 920. It's expensive, and I don't know anything about it. But, is it effective? Does it require periodic re-filling of the cooling liquid/any maintenance at all? I figured since I'll be doing lots of gaming and in the summer my apartment gets very hot so I need the best cooling for all my parts. Any thoughts?

The Antec Kuhler 620/920, as well as the Corsair H50/60/70, are closed-loop systems, which means that they don't need to be refilled. You essentially just install and forget about them. From reviews I've read they work about as well as a mid to high-end air cooler depending on which version you get.
Price : Performance you're better off getting an air cooler, the Noctua NH-D14 will out perform any of the above closed-loop systems.
However, there is something to be said for their convenience, with the closed-loop systems you don't have to worry about them fitting in your case because there is no tall radiator, and you don't have to worry about them blocking a RAM slot because there aren't any fans hanging off the CPU block, also thermal paste comes pre-applied.

...Ever do research while writing and can't find a good place to edit?
The NH-D14, Kuhler 920, and Corsair H80 should all provide performance within a few °C of each other.
NH-D14 and H80 are $86, the Kuhler 920 is $115 (all on newegg), I'd personally go for the H80 for price and convenience.

Comparison Test link from HardwareHeaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom