Building a new gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking in a 60GB SSD, just gotta find one at a decent price and with good reviews and an adapter so I can mount it in my case.

Also, should I go ahead and switch out my PSU for 750W instead of the 650W I have picked out since I plan to add a second card later?

Also I'm stuck with 2 great cases I found, Thermaltake Armor A60 and the A90, which case is better?

650 watt is fine. your rig will not draw more than 450 watt.if money is tight just stick with regular hard drives for now. You can always upgrade later.

I'll be going with regular HDDs I guess, unless between now and the "go" time I find an SSD drive of 60GB or so on sale.

Anyone have any idea on cases?

I'm tempted to keep my old set up in the Antec 900 and find something better for my new parts. I want something with good looks, a side window and great air flow. My budget is $125 for the case, since I know having the right case can make all the difference in keeping components cool and safe. I also want it to have dust filters if possible and if possible I'd like a CPU cutout and a hole for routing wires for cable management. Extra points for red LED fans, but they can be blue too. Please help me find a case.

Also needs to be mid tower or full tower, mid tower preferred but full tower that fits my traits listed will be fine.

Case preferences:

Mid or Full tower
Side Window
Great Cooling
LED Fans
$125 price range
CPU cutout or sliding motherboard tray
dust filters
bottom mounted psu area with downward exhaust vent for psu.

these 2 cases are very good for what you want, the NZXT has amazing airflow, and can house up to 6 fans, it is my favorite case of all time, i was torn between it and the HAF X when i was building my computer, the ONLY reason i went with the HAF X is so i could put a water loop 100% internal.

NZXT M59 $50: Arguably the best " Bang for your buck " Case on the market
Newegg.com - NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
#1111 - NZXT M59 Case Video Review - YouTube

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout $80:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
#1061 - Cooler Master Storm Scout Case Video Review - YouTube
Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid-Tower Black Case - YouTube

I'd suggest the NZXT aswell. Im on a Tempest Evo right now, and I couldn't ask for anything more(it is a bit out of your price range though). It comes stock with 6 fans(3 with blue LEDs), great cable management features, and looks sweet.

Newegg.com - AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Newegg.com - AZZA Solano 1000R Black / Red Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Sort of weird how the blue version is a little higher than the red when they seem identical. I wanted one of these bad but didn't have the funds for it.

1 x 120mm fan in rear
2 x 140mm blue LED silent fan (19DBA) in front
1 x 230mm blue LED silent fan (24DBA) on top
1 x 230mm blue LED silent fan (24DBA) on the side

11-517-004-S01
11-517-006-Z01

The NZXT I was looking at to put my old parts in. It looks cool but I doubt its airflow can match or exceed the Antec 900's. The Solano is exactly what I had been looking at but was worried that it didn't have dust filters.

I'm almost tempted to grab the Antec Lanboy Air. I like how it delivers great cooling, but I'm not sure how it would be in the long run. Any thoughts?

Didn't mean to double post, tried to delete but cannot, sorry.

While I'm editing, the Solano looks good but I'm after something with a sliding/removable mobo tray or at least a cpu cutout as I'm going to be placing one of these on my CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106142

I'm not wanting a difficult installation when it comes to putting this bad boy on. I'm almost tempted to just go Antec 902 and replace its fans with red LED fans that have higher CFM.

Please keep the case ideas coming guys.

How does this case look? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108376

I think it looks great and it fits my budget, after rebate of course. Can anyone tell me if it's worth the extra bucks? Seems to have phenomenal cooling, plenty of room and is visually pleasing.

This one also looks good, I'm willing to make an exception on price for this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129087

It's down between the In Win Dragon Rider and the Antec DF-85. Which would you guys choose?

I'm a big fan on the In Win, so that'd be my choice. It can hold more fans, and it seems like the airflow is would be slightly better than the Antec. It also helps that it's cheaper.

I'm really liking the In Win DR too, I just have some concerns with the fact you have to remove the PSU in order to clean its filter. I might just find a way to switch it to the under side of the case so I can pop it off to wash it when needed.

I'm also tempted to replace all of its fans with red LED fans to give it a more menacing look, no real performance increase just mostly aesthetic.

So this is looking to be my final specs for my main rig:

Case: In Win Dragon Rider Full Tower
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX (wanted room to upgrade)
CPU: AMD Phenom 2 X4 980
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0554
Thermal Grease: Tuniq TX-2
RAM: 8GB G. Skill Sniper
HDD(s): 60GB SSD + 500GB HDD + 1TB HDD
Optical: Sony Optiarc DVD Burner
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5770
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 750W

Keyboard: Logitech G15 v2
Mouse: Razer Lachesis
Monitor: DELL 22" LCD
Speakers: Logitech X-530 5.1
Headset: Logitech G-930 Wireless 7.1 Headset

Old PC:
Case: Antec 900
Mobo: Asus M3A
CPU: Phenom 9600 BE
Cooler: Stock
RAM: 4GB DDR2
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5670
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner

After a while I'm gonna upgrade my new PC's keyboard, mouse and monitor and give my old PC the old items.

I had a question, will my old PC with the 4GB of RAM and the old Phenom 9600 bottleneck in anyway if I give it a newer card like the 5670?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom