Oh, my poor baby! (system)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
The last few days have been bad. Very so.

I have my main system, posted below in my sig. Just the Pro version of that since I got it from Fat.Clown. Not blaming him for this indecent one bit. So I swap the boards, find out I should reinstall 7. It's real bogged down. So I look around for some grease, asd my MX-2 ran out. Found some Zalman paste to hold me over till I get some TX-2. So I apply the Zalman, OK, it was a few degrees higher, but nothing too bad, as I didn't expect that paste to be as good.

So, A few days later, I get my TX-2, reapply, turned back on, What the, this thing is hitting upwards of 50C! OK, so I just take the OC off, 40C. This thing used to be 30C at non-OC, idle. So,I think I put too much paste on. Take H/S off, it's just the right constituency. So, reapply, Even 60C now, at no OC.

So, I turn this baby off, and dissemble it from case, put it on some cardboard leaving only a stick of RAM and Video card. Still says around 45 in BIOS. Also, I switched the stick around. It doesn't POST when it is in slot 1 or 3. But 2 and 4 do. OK, bad slots too? I finally took the CPU off. There are some bent pins. Gow they got that way? no idea. So, doo de doo. I take out my previous board. Put it on the cardboard and plugged it up.What the ****?! You have a memory problem, too? And the temperature remains the same.

So, from that, I can gather, the memory slots are bad, as all the RAM chips are fine. Also, my CPU might have been sideswiped from the OC. I don't know. I thought the i5 760 was meant to OC. So, I'll look into getting a RMA on the board, possibly the CPU.

But in the meantime, myself and Yami decided to just get a 1155. Future proof myself. Got a i3 2100, ASUS P8H67-M Pro/CSM, and a AC Freezer H/S. All for ~$250. Mess with ths 1156 stuff at my leisure. Get a main system back.

I'll ask ASUS, but would I be able to RMA that board I got from you, Fat.Clown?

Depends mind, how old is that board exactly ? most mobo's that are out of their one year warrenty will "NOT" get a free diagnosis and repair if the company decides that.
Call asus tonight and see what they say, they are friendly about alot of things but not when something is out warrenty or not supported in their lineup.

Mind check your ram speeds and timing to see whats really up, any ram that can't handle a oc will usually error out and turn off your pc, to reset the mobo configuration if it even does that...
Check your voltages when you OC with your corei5, mguire told me when I had my core i3 that those little wolfs will handle 4.5ghz on stable voltages and ram timings.
But most cpu's if your lucky with decent ram will run on 4.0ghz with a low stable tempature.

I also don't think bent pins qualify for RMA.

Theres been posts before, where having ram in 2 and 4 won't post, so unless you populate all the ram slots you won't be certain.

As mike said, unless you added the voltage yourself, its most likely too much. Some auto crank the voltages to a bad point.

My board is less than a year old, and it has a 3-year warranty on it. I'm well in boundaries.

As for my RAM, they were, when I OCed, running in 1600. I took the OC off, it is running now whatever the machine perceives of it.

I added the voltages myself. Slay helped me with that. I had it going strong for a good 4-5 months.

Edit: If i set BIOS to defaults, which I did, why is it running 45C? It used to run 30C easily.

Don't get upset, but what is your room tempature currently ?
To be honest when your pc is on for a little while and you reboot and check the bioscpu thermal guage sometimes it will read like that especially after you got done adjusting any memory timings or etc.

Slay will probably think this is odd, but why not drop the ram speed to 1333 for half the night put your cpu speed on 3.4ghz- and 3.8ghz like my phenom II 965 and see howit handles.

Please monitor your memory usage with coretemp and windows task manager, you may think this is a lie, but do not let the memory go above 60% usage all the time.
Do that, and **** will happen mighty fast causing your pc to slow down very quickly.

I sent in the board because the ram slot closest to the CPU socket was bad, all other 3 slots was fine before RMA. I also looked at the socket pins carefully before I sent it for RMA, just in case it was the socket causing board to not boot with ram in the bad slot. none was bent. As I described in my FS thread, the board was still sealed by Asus. no further testing was done by me after RMA.

if it was just bad ram slots, Asus would RMA it for you. But I am not sure about them bent pins.

I'm not upset Mike. ;) (With my computer, maybe, but not at you)

I keep my Room in the mid 70F. Before this happened, it only raised a couple C when it got hotter in here. Not by a great jump.

It actually, will not matter. On stock, it is 45C. Previously 30C at stock. Way over the stock temp limit. OCing it will not lower the temps, AFAIK.

That would be hard to do. As the board sees half my RAM. So at 4GB, of course it's going to use over 60%, easily.

@Fat.Clown: I think ASUS would, replace the board, no matter, if the RAM slot is bad. The bent pins is extra. I was actually able to bend back the pins, and it actually does start up now. So, I think the pins are no longer a factor. Must be that chipset that's ******. I had to send in my first board because of that exact reason.

OK, I think I've figured out your cooling problem. For some reason I've been thinking you were using one of my old TRUE heatsinks, and you actually have a Xigmatek with exposed heatpipes. We'll use this image I found online of the base of the Dark Knight as a reference.

mommp.jpg

The 1st thing we'll look at is the little gaps between the heatpipes and the base. I've circled these gaps, there are six of them and in the picture the gaps look white. These gaps need to be filled with thermal paste. Remove the heatsink from the cpu/mobo and use the existing paste to fill these gaps. Smear the paste into the gaps, keeping the heatpipes clean, you want just enough paste in the gaps to make it appear as if the surface is flat with no gaps.

Once the gaps are filled up were going to put just a dab of paste directly on the heatpipes at the nine red dots I've indicated in the picture above. The red dots are just the approximate locations, you want them to be spaced to match up with the size of your cpu. The dab of paste size I want you to use is small. Hold a ruler up next to the tube of paste and squeeze out less than a 1/16 of an inch of paste (about 1/2 of a 16th or a 1/32"). This is a dab. Once you've applied your nine dabs of paste reinstall the heatsink to a clean, paste free cpu.

You have 8GB of memory, is it a (2x4GB) or a (4x2GB)?

If it's a (2x4GB) kit then your mobo probably just wants to use the 2nd & 4th slot. The mobo I'm using now will only start with the 2nd and 4th slots filled when using 2 sticks, but I can fill all four slots and everything works fine.

If your using a (4x2GB) kit then you either have a bad slot (or two) or it could be one or more of the cpu pins not making a good connection. I really wouldn't expect the system to start if the pins were bent but it is possible if a pin or two were just barely making contact with the cpu (the memory controller is located in the cpu). Or the memory controller could be damaged if it got to hot but it would have to get well over 80C and stay there for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom