sound cards for home theater surround through tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathalb4

Solid State Member
Hi,

I have a question with regard to using my pc with home theater surround systems.

I am currently running my pc in conjunction with my cable tv through an 42" RCA LCD monitor. Works really well with my bg nvidia 9500gt graphics card with regard to viewing. perfect.

Currently i have my stereo pc speakers on each side of the tv and pc and the subwoofer next to the tv stand/display. ihave my pc connected from the dcmi connection on graphics card to hdmi connection at back of tv.(it has 3 hdmi inputs)

my question is this.. i am about to buy a surround sound system for the tv so as to maximise use of hd channels from my bell tv cable subscription. i currently have my movies and music all saved on hard disc and dont even bother with dvd.bluray players. will i be able to connect my pc to the surround sound system 5.1 and fully benifit/maximise the sound coming from my pc?
my pc motherboard is an intel D946GZIS
this is the sound/audio spec :

6-channel (5.1) onboard subsystem, featuring:

― Int e l® High Definition Audio interface
―SigmaTel* STAC9227 audio codec
―HD Audio Link header

Onboard Audio Subsystem
Desktop Board D946GZIS has a flexible 6-channel (5.1) onboard audio subsystem that
includes a SigmaTel STAC9227 audio codec and an HD Audio Link header.
The audio subsystem features:
•
Intel® High Definition Audio interface
•

Advanced jack sense, for the back panel connectors, that enables the audio codec to recognize the device that is connected to an audio port and retask the connector via the audio driver.
•
S/N (signal-to-noise) ratio: 95 dB
•
Microphone input supporting:
―Stereo microphone
―Microphone boost
The subsystem includes the following connectors:
•
Front panel audio connector, including functionality for:
―Line out
―Microphone in

I'm wondering should i buy a new sound card for this or even run it through a graphics card. i dont think my current graphics card has that capability but i am led to believe that others do?

okay.. so whats my best option here?

All help very much appreciated.

by the way i'm thinking of this surround sound system :
Sony 5.1 Channel 3D Home Theater System (HTSS380)

Sony 5.1 Channel 3D Home Theatre System (HTSS380) : Receiver-Based All-In-One Systems - Best Buy Canada

there,

i fixed it.. i hope that helps and you can assist me in some way because im really unsure as to what i can do with what i have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom