Computer Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myskillzownu

Solid State Member
So, I would love if someone could come up with an estimate for how much / year this would cost to run.
Here's the 700w, yes 700w power supply.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194058

I will be running 12 sticks of 4gb of ram.
The processor is a 6 core i7 extreme
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.46GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7990X

The case is Newegg.com - Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition VN10006W2N White and Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Video card is Newegg.com - EVGA 03G-P3-1591-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) Hydro Copper 2 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Mboard is here
Newegg.com - EVGA Classified SR-2 270-WS-W555-A2 LGA 1366 Intel 5520 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HPTX Intel Motherboard

I will have dual blu-ray burners for convenience, and it will have one 3tb 5400rm drive.

So if anyone can estimate how much / year this will cost to run that would be awesome.
Average run time umm 6 hours / day
Will do a reboot every night to clear the memory and let it hibernate for 18 hours.
Some days it will be run a lot more, sometimes a lot less. I would say the more and less will cancel each other out.

Thanks a TON.

It looks like you just picked out the most expensive hardware you could find...

I contemplated saying the same thing rokor....

Anyone who knew enough to build this, wouldn't. The 990x over a 2600k for the difference in price makes no sense unless you must throw money away. And the level 10 makes me shudder every time I see it! If your just dreaming, keep it up. If your really going to build something ask for advice before you throw your money away. As for your question, it is impossible to say because we don't know exactly what that will draw at the wall because there are too many variables and we don't know what you pay per kwh.

You're going to be running 12 sticks of 4gb RAM? How are you going to fit that much on your motherboard? Do you know how much RAM that is? That's 48Gb RAM. I can't be the only one who caught this, right? ;)
Wait, I stand corrected. I looked at the mobo :p But you can't possibly need that much memory, unless you planning to use this as a server?? In which case you should go for a xeon build...

Um, unfortUNATELY THAT SETUP WILL NOT work.

The sr-2 requires xeon server chips not i7 consumer products. And it needs 2 of them

I also believe it requires server ram so make sure you get them.

You really should look for a better psu. The sr-2 uses 2 8 pins, and the psu you choose is low on the Amps.
This Antec is cheaper and alot more Amps.. Newegg.com - Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Now folks... Please please look at the parts before giving "suggestions"... As TJ found out it is a dual socketed server board that allows for overclocking..

The 990x is expensive, but if building a power cruncher, video editing, simulations etc.. The 990x again totally destroys a 2600. Each chip has its good points and uses.

My.... What are your itended use of this thing? A regular server board is 1/3rd the price, and a couple of cHT Quad xeons are about the same as the 990x or its xeon counter part.. Plus you need 2.

You need to rebuild your build as it will not work... literally.

It will destroy a 2600k.. because it's designed for a whole different use.

Thanks pat.
And to answer your questions about wasting money, I'm spending 3k on medieval armor and weapons and fighting my friend.
Does that answer your question o.o?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom