PC buying Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyveria

Solid State Member
hi. I have owned my laptop since early 2006 and I want to buy a computer capable of running skyrim when it comes out. unfortunately I dont know a lot about computer buying. I found a website called Vibox.co.uk and was wondering if these specs will run skyrim.

Processor
AMD Athlon II x4 645 3.1GHz Quad Core
Motherboard
Asrock N68-GE3 UCC
Memory
4GB DDR3 1333MHz Value Memory (2 x 2GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1GB DDR3 + 400W PSU
Hard Drive
2TB (2000GB)
Optical Drive
Sony 24x DVD-RW Internal Sata Drive
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

it also has
1 x Wireless 54G Card
1 x Internal Card Reader

thank you for reading.
if this is no good please tell me what i should get. my budget is £470

the computer costs £461 and i am on a tight budget of £470.
and the case for the computer is
CIT Mars Red Case
mainly because i think it looks cool

I've never played the Elder Scrolls but it looks like a DX9 game so you should be able to play it ok but I would probably get a little better video card. I found these system requirements:

Minimum System Requirements

* CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz or Althon X2 2.0 GHz
* RAM: 3 GB
* HDD: 15 GB
* Graphics: 512 MB card
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c

Recommended System Requirements

* CPU: Core 2 Quad 3 GHz
* RAM: 3 GB
* HDD: 15 GB free disk space
* Graphics: 512 MB Graphics Memory
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c

Supported Graphics Cards:

Minimum – 8800 GT
Recommanded – Geforce GTX 460/Radeon 5850

I'm surprised no one else has helped you yet but I'm sure someone more familiar with the UK market will post you a build now that your post has been bumped.

Admittedly, I'm no expert but from my time here I've become more aware of what's available in the UK market end, so are you looking to buy a built system or build one yourself?

Oh okai, thanks I need to improve my reading skills...
I don't know the Vibox website very well so I can't comment on it's reliability, though for components I'd suggest Scan and Ebuyer for UK buyers.
Looking at the system you've built, I would probably suggest trying to improving the Graphic card, I would say an Nvidia 460gtx over a 430gt because of it's performance difference; if it helps the price, I'd suggest to bring the price down by reducing the hard drive to 1tb if you feeling the space isn't needed.

Thanks for the Help.
After reading the comments. and finding quite a bit of money. I now have a budget of £750. and have changed the build please give me comments as to where i have went wrong. or what I could Improve.

Case
NZXT Lexa S
Processors *
AMD Athlon II x4 645 3.1GHz Quad Core
Motherboard *
Asrock N68-GE3 UCC
Memory *
8GB DDR3 1333MHz Value Memory (4 x 2GB)
Graphics Card *
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.28GB GDDR5 + 500W PSU
Hard Drive
2TB
Optical Drive
Samsung DVD-RW/Blu Ray Rom Internal Sata Drive
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Additional Options
1 x Wireless 54G Card
1 x Internal Card Reader
1 x Sony 24x DVD-RW Internal Sata Drive

Yea I think you'll be quite good with a 470 and the quad core. I would not dare go any less than that. Oblivion the previous game from 05 wouldn't even play well on the 430. The game will have a lot of outdoor scenes with a lot of foliage and detail you won't want a low end card if you want a good visual experience!

Just to second what Thomas said really, the improved system is alot better and should cover Skyrim's requirements really. If you feel like you have money to burn, I'd go an improved GPU, though I'm not saying the current one isn't great.

thank you but the GPU I've selected is the highest I can go. the next best GPU that I can get on Vibox is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB GDDR5 + 600W PSU but thats £560 and I don't have the enougth money too aford it.

However would the ATI Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 + 500W PSU be a better option.
it's the same price as the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.28GB GDDR5 + 500W PSU
but I don't know much about the ATI Radeon

would it be better for gaming and what are the benefits of having the Radeon and not the NVIDIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom