2gb gddr5 amd radeon hd 6970 m vs 2gb GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce gtx 580m and laptop review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with MoM on this one, I honestly don't get where you're coming from Infinite. Alienware is very overpriced, he was just letting the OP know. Just like buying Moster Cables, spending a heap of money on an Alienware system when you could get the equivalent or better for much less is a bad idea. People like the OP come here for advice, and now he knows he's more likely to get better bang for buck from a company other than Alienware, which will save him money in the future. I don't see a problem?

it's the same blindness that allows you to ask for someone to "Click this if I helped you" that causes you to not get where i'm coming from.

edit: having just reread MoM's first post, i'd like to hear how he thinks that his opinion re: "waste of money" was asked for, warranted or appropriate. it's a value judgment and MoM has no right to tell me or anyone else what a "waste of money" is.

Sorry mate, but what *are* you talking about?
This is a tech forum. It's where people come to get advice on tech.
If you can buy part XYZ from one place for $100, then buying that same part from another place for $200 is a *waste of money*.It's a value judgement, and one that anyone 10 years and up could help you with. It's not bashing the OP, it's letting him know there are better deals out there.

You can take anything you get from Alienware and half the price if you build it yourself. You know what that other half of the cost is paying for?

This.

That is pretty expensive for a logo. While I agree the specs are great, you could have gotten something even better for cheaper.

How funny I ran into this thread while building an Alienware M17x myself and sought the answer to this EXACT same question. Before I begin ranting, if you were choosing between the AMD and nVIDIA chip, which would you pick and why? I've had so many problems with the nVIDIA I'm leaning towards the Radeon, but I'm not sure.

That said, I'm so sick of all the Alienware bashing. Do you really think that people buying Alienware computers think they're paying the same price as someone independently building their own computers? Well, maybe some do, but any intelligent person does know. Let me explain why we still choose to buy them:

1. We don't know how to build a computer, nor do we want to.
2. We have the money to spend. It isn't an issue. We either saved up for it, or we're wealthy/spoiled.
3. Brand loyalty. I bought my first Area 51 Desktop in mid 2004. Aside from a single internal dvd /cd drive breaking two or three years in, I used it without any issues until 2009, and it remains usable to this very day.
4. Prestige. Look in any pc magazine when they do their annual "Best Gaming Notebook of This Year" award review. Alienware seems to always win. They have a reputation for being the best. People know it. That logo you posted is the same thing as the LV on a $10,000 Louis Vitton purse. Are you going to tell your wife/girlfriend she's a complete idiot for wanting a pair of Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses that cost $400 when she could get the same quality of glasses for $20 at a mall kiosk? I hope you won't.

Many of us come here for answers to technical questions that you, pro2a, and you, MoM, can answer. So please, don't answer the question as if you guys were my father :p

1. There are several other builders that charge much lower than Alienware. iBuyPower for example.
2. Money is money, you can get a lot more for it.
3. We weren't saying it isn't reliable. Just that their price is dodgy.
4. Not always. There are several other systems that can beat it.

We give advice, not just answers. If you want to waste your money, great, but there is other options.

I like alienware, but I can also see the point the others are making. Also now that alienware is just another piece of Dell, I have a hard time buying from them. I have had to many issues with Dell. Even though alienware still makes a great computer. I couldn't buy one because they are connected to a company that I feel has gone to c***.

I've read all the Fanboy comments I care to in this thread, the OP has had his question answered, this thread is Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom