Trying to sell my Dell Dimension 4700

Status
Not open for further replies.
The clock speed (MHz/GHz) is just one of about a dozen factors of which decide the performance of a processor. A Core 2 Solo with a slower clock speed than that 3.4GHz is still going to faster, for example.

What motherboard does the machine have, btw? If it's a decent one you might be able to bump the price up a bit.

Well I can guarantee it is in fact DDR3 RAM. I installed a lot of the components myself. I wouldn't think that the processor would kill it too much. It might be an old processor but it runs at 3.4 GHz without overclocking and I bet you could safely overclock it to about 3.8 GHz. This computer runs a pretty fast as it is and with a drive format it will run even faster. I have done some research myself and I found computers with 2.8 GHz single core for about $300. They have the same quality graphics card. I wouldn't say $125 but after my research I would say $250-$300.

I can promise you that's not ddr3.

In my opinion selling it for $250-$300 would be taking advantage of whomever the buyer is. It's worth $150 on a good day.

you can buy p4's ~3ghz for $10 bucks shipped. and dell computers does not allow overclocking. to the un-informed buyers 3.4 ghz might sound very good. but the fact is that system is just very old. You asked, we gave our honest opinion, we have NOTHING to gain by low balling you.On my phone again, so formatting probably gone.

Prototype, you are half right, and half wrong. In the P4 era, motherboard chipset determined your memory type. Now in days, it is both the motherboard (NOT THE CHIPSET, it is just the particular slots and processors supported by the board) and the processor, as the memory controller, is built into the cpu instead of the chipset. Also, there was, at one time, SOME 512MB sticks of low end DDR3 in its very early days, it isn't physically impossible.

And did they make motherboards that support both DDR3 and P4s? I've never seen or heard of one, and would call any company that made on quite silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom