cd-rom drive crapping out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafydd_brown

Baseband Member
Is there any way to check if this is the case? Xp's telling me it's working okay but judging by the length of time it's taking to read certain game CDs now compared to a few months back I'm not so sure...
If I do have to replace it any suggestions for nice ones? I've just upgraded the rest of my system so why the 'eck not?
Unfortunately my other drive an LG DVD/CD-rom/CD-R doesn't want to play along since I had to format my hard drive and re-install Xp.... Now it doesn't like burning CDs using the Xp applications or Nero 6... and when i put a cd in there it just continuously reads it without auto-running or letting me explore what's on the disc... it tells me to insert a disc!
Judging by this fact do you think I might have a problem with Windows? I've tried finding the drivers for both of them but the LG website only seems to want to give me drivers for their newer products and when searched doesn't actually acknowledge the fact that my one exists! Bleh...

Ahh but I have to pay for that don't I? hehe
It seems unlikely that both drives have suddenly given up the ghost at the same time... My dvd/cd-r drive just keeps spinning when I put anything at all in it and the icon just stays the same in 'my computer'. If I put a blank cd-r in there and try to write stuff to it it goes through the motions minus any visible led flashing and then gives me an error message...

dafydd_brown

Hmm..to check the drives, remove them , install in another PC and test the drives. if it works fine , the problem lies in you system[we can come to that later] .But If the drives dont work, the laser is dead. Get a new one >!

Sign
Codes
:)

If it is your drive, consider using <snipped> so you can run your games without the CD in the drive. You can download them for free by going to <snipped> . Personally, I prefer using MegaGames.

-Dan The Man

no references to warez and cracks and such please, dan

--jak

C'mon dude , dont you know we should not speak about cracks, warez stuff? :confused:

Anywz, his problem is not with the games ...;)

Sign
Codes
:)

Thanks anyway Dan! But it turns out that one of the IDE pins on the back of the drive has snapped off... great!
I suppose this is a good excuse to buy a DVD-R drive... just one more question though... what the fudge is DVD-ROM? Obviously I know what ROM is normally but what is it in the context of DVDs and what would you use it for?
Thanks guys.

dafydd,

DVD = Digital Versatile Disc . The next level to CD's in optical storage medium is DVD's. A much bigger, faster CD like disc which can store large amount of data [4.7 GB ,7GB ,16 GB....]

A DVD Rom is used to read the data stored in DVD's ,like the CD-ROM for CD's..
If you want to know more about DVD's ,follow this link
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

Sign
Codes:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom