Ram compatabilty with motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD_Man0

Solid State Member
I have a HPE 410 Y computer and I've been doing some upgrading to make it better for gaming. I wanted to upgrade the ram to something made by Corsair and I really like the Dominator ram. I don't know though if this will work with my motherboard. I've read on many forums where people have spent over 100 dollars on ram just to find out that it doesn't work with their motherboard. So below is what I was thinking of getting and I want to be 100% sure it will be compatible with my motherboad. I would get 4 sticks or 2gb ram for a total of 8gbs.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP4GX3M2B1600C8

This is from HP's website giving the computer specs. If you look at memory upgrade under ram it will give all the requirements needed for compatibility.

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410y Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410y Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Memory upgrade information
Dual channel memory architecture
Four DDR3 DIMMs (240-pin) sockets
PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB DDR3 DIMMs
Supports up to 16 GB on 64-bit systems
Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit PCs
*32-bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
You need to get 1333MHz RAM. Try to get a 2x4GB package (your motherboard does support 4GB modules), that will make upgrading easier in future and save space.
This looks to be an ideal set for you
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

Keep in mind that you need to be using a 64-bit operating system to use more than 4GB of RAM. If you're using 32-bit then you'll only be able to use 3.7GB of the 8GB.

I'm most familiar with Corsair is G skill a good company that makes good quality relaible parts? I don't know much about them.

Ok thanks. I meant to say in the last post it is Windows 64 bit home premium so will will take up to 16 GB of DDR3 ram. I've read where people talk about going into Bios to change the ram. Is this part of the installation or are they going into BIOS to overclock the ram?

They're most likely changing the timings/clocks of the RAM. If you're just going stock, then you just need to plug in the new modules and you'll be good.

You don't need to fill all four slots. You can have two empty, and it's better to use as few slots as possible, since then you have two slots spare to upgrade in future if you want to, and it uses less power too (thus there's less heat).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom