PC shutting down while playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan12

Solid State Member
Hello,

I've had an issue for a while with my PC shutting down after x amount of time while I play games. For a while I thought the issue was temperature issues, but I am not leaning more towards a faulty PSU, but I am still not sure.

PC specs:
Core i7 920
Nvidia GTX 275
P6T motherboard
6GB DDR3
Xion 700 Watt PSU (I read online it's a horrible PSU)

With no AC turned on my house my Temperatures have been:

Idle: GPU: ~49-54c CPU ~44c
Load while playing: GPU ~75-85c CPU: 50-52c

With AC turned on and myhouse ~59 degrees

Idle: GPU: ~43c CPU ~34c
Load: GPU ~69-75 CPU 45-49c

===========

I ran Furmark for 10minutes before my PC booted and the GPU temp was ~104c-105c (It never gets this hot during gameplay, but I was stress testing it)

I ran Prime 95 for 20minutes the CPU Temp rose to 92c so i got scared of damaging it and turned it off. (PC did no reboot during prime 95)

==========

I played tonight a game for 3hours and my max temperatures was :
GPU 70-75c and GPU 50-52c

During these 3 hours my pc rebooted 3 times

I really want to figure out what component is making my PC crash, I am buying a blank dvd to get memtest and test out my ram, also going to run avg tonight to check for a virus, but I doubt its a virus because it only reboots while I play games.

Your power supply is a very crappy brand and it may very well be your main problem, or at least a contributing factor.

However, if your cpu is hitting the 90C mark runnig Prime95 then that is a serious problem, and you need to fix it before moving on. Make sure all (4) legs of your heatsink are securely attached to the mobo. Make sure the fan is working properly and spinning at 100%. Very often, when other users have a overheating problem, they have used to much thermal paste. You actually need very little, no more than a single grain of dried rice.

Yeah I got quite scared when the cpu hit 92 with prime95, but when I am playing games my cpu temp is never over 60.

Also is my PC shutting down 10 minutes into furmark an issue? And what is a normal temperature for an i7 under prime95?

The Heatsink I use is the Asetek Liquid cooling, right now my cpu is 42c and I've had my pc on for over 6 hours just browsing online and I've had no shut downs.

Are you overclocking? Where are you located, Dallas? How hot is it in the computer room?

Your cpu is hitting 92C under full load when it should be around 70C under full load if your overclocking. If your not overclocking your CPU should be in the low 60C range under a full load. If your PC is never over 60C when playing games then it should probably be in the low 50C range when playing games? How do you know these numbers? Are you using a program like HWMonitor 1.18-setup.exe? If not you need to download it from the link I provided, run the setup and then start the program. Leave it running and start playing a game for 5 minutes or so. Stop playing before the game crashes but give it enough time to actually warm-up or get hot. Then post a screenshot, here's a guide, Screenshot Tutorial.

Hardware Monitor will tell us your current, minimum and maximum temperatures as well as voltage levels for your CPU, Mobo, Video Card, Hard Drive, etc... Depending upon your system it may support all of these values or it may just show us a couple of them.

I live in New Jersey, but this summer has been brutal with temperatures outside ranging from 90-100 , so In doors with the windows open it can be ~80-85 degrees F.

I usually run speed fan every time I play, the CPU while I'm playing stays in the mid 50's and the GPU the highest it gets is ~85c. From what I read the Nvidia 200 series runs a bit hot something that the 400 series+ have improved. But Last night I ran speed fan while I played for 3 hours and I listed to temps GPU never went above 75c and CPU never went over 60c.

I will run the HWmonitor though and post a SS

your game temps are definitely safe. i'd replace that PSU ASAP before it completely blows and take down other parts in your computer.

I will run memtest as my last test if it comes out good then I'll order my PSU and post the results. Going with a Corsair PSU this time and not some crappy random brand.

but the only thing that I'm still unsure of is that my PC shut off after 10 minutes or furmark and my GPU was at 105c, I mean It never gets that hot during games, but still.

Also unsure about my CPU getting to 90c from prime95 after 20ish minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom