Converting signal from 3g modem to router

Status
Not open for further replies.

papitohead

Solid State Member
Ok, here is my next question. Once I have the signal amplified in my house, what I want to do is use it with multiple things such as more than one computer, skype phone, etc. The moden the provider supplies is to insert to one computer only.

You want a router. You can get wired only in which all the computers you want to connect use an ethernet cable to connect or you can get a wireless router that allows connections by cable or via a wifi adapter. Generally, desktops are wired directly while laptops connect wirelessly but it's not a hard and fast rule.

You want a router. You can get wired only in which all the computers you want to connect use an ethernet cable to connect or you can get a wireless router that allows connections by cable or via a wifi adapter. Generally, desktops are wired directly while laptops connect wirelessly but it's not a hard and fast rule.

The problem with that is most of the 3G modems are already hotspots or are a single device that you plug into your computer via USB.

I think your cell carrier should have some sort of "router" that your broadband can plug into; I know VZW has them.

What you can also do, if they are a single dongle that is plugged into the computer... if you're running Windows 7, you can get a program called "Connectify" and it will use your wireless card you have built in (or if you need to buy one for a desktop) as a wireless hotspot and allow your other computers to connect through that one.

Doh! I completely missed the info in the title regarding the connection being 3G. What 3G device do you have? As carnageX said, some 3G devices have built-in wireless router capabilities. Most of the USB devices that plug in to your computer can be used with a broadband router, check Cradlepoint.com.

If the computer you have your 3G USB device plugged in to is running Win 7 and is wifi enabled, you could install Connectify which essentially turns that computer into a wifi hotspot.

Thank you all for the good information. I do not have Windows 7 but rather Windows Vista. Can it be done with this operating system? Also have been looking into ad hoc to learn some. Any more pointers I would appreciate.

Unfortunately no it can't be done with Vista; Connectify only works with Win7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom