a question about power

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_uj

Beta member
Hello all!

I am having a problem with a custom built pc that I put together about a half a year ago. The computer runs fine from a particular location (in this case my parent's house), but will not boot up from my apartment. It powers up but then shuts off after a few seconds.

My general specs: ASrock 770 Extreme3, PhenomII 955, Antec EarthWatts650, EVGA gtx460

A bit more info: I put this together last January and it ran fine in my apartment until the end of May when it simply quit posting. I took everything apart, put it back together but it still wouldn't post. After bringing to a different (my parents house) it booted up with no problems. This is the situation that I am still in right now: the computer won't boot in my apartment but boots up fine at my parent's house.

I am guessing that the problem is something to do with the power in my apartment – but I don't know much about electrical problems. Anyone have any ideas? It seems strange that it would work for 5 months in my apartment and then just stop (while continuing to boot up in a different location?) Would a voltage regulator be of any help?

I appreciate any helpful advice I can get.
Chris

thanks for the quick reply.

I'm using a normal surge protector - nothing fancy. I was thinking about picking up an APC voltage regulator. I'll order one later tonight and see if it helps.

Any idea why it would work fine for nearly half a year though? I am just curious.

chris

Hard telling; maybe maintenance was done in the building and somehow it made the power to certain places "dirty" or something of the sort. It's kinda hard telling really, since you said it works fine at your parents' house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom