CPU Problems - Sluggish Framerate In-Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arctic Silver 5, aka AS5, is crap, I bet toe-jam would work as good. 80C is way to high for a AMD cpu. You need to shut it down, remove the heatsink, clean the old paste off the heatsink and the cpu, and re-apply a little new paste (whatever brand you have). Did you remove the fan from the heatsink? Make sure the air is blowing into the heatsink. I agree with carnageX, get some Tuniq TX-2.

Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

Arctic Silver 5, aka AS5, is crap, I bet toe-jam would work as good. 80C is way to high for a AMD cpu. You need to shut it down, remove the heatsink, clean the old paste off the heatsink and the cpu, and re-apply a little new paste (whatever brand you have). Did you remove the fan from the heatsink? Make sure the air is blowing into the heatsink. I agree with carnageX, get some Tuniq TX-2.

Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

For what you do with your rigs yea I agree as5 may not be the absolute best, however I have been using as5 for years with no issues. Most users here don't have the same level of heat and cooling demands that you have.

For what you do with your rigs yea I agree as5 may not be the absolute best, however I have been using as5 for years with no issues. Most users here don't have the same level of heat and cooling demands that you have.

Use it all you want but recommending it when there are better products for the money is irresponsible. Tuniq TX-2 is almost 1/2 the price, it will lower your temps by 2 to 5 degrees Celsius (or more compared to AS5) and it's non-conductive.

Well I see, First off I tried googling (best rated thermal paste) Almost the whole first page is about as5 that even still with newer products available performs within 2 degree of any other competitor on any real tests I could find. I understand you prefer something else but to say as5 is trash when there is countless tests available to invalidate your claims is irresponsible.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62

http://www.arcticsilver.com/reviews/as5/overklokking/overklokking.no_as5_review.html

To use the website of the product in question as a defense for that product is the worst thing you could do. Since when would you ever find a bad review about a product they make on their own website? So to paste the artic silver website saying that the argument of tuniq over as is invalid only proves their point more.

It would be like me posting a quote or review from Microsoft's website talking about how great Windows Vista or Windows ME is compared to Linux or OS X. It completely invalidates the argument your trying to make.

Not taking sides but pointing out facts. We have a member, SOUL, that went through an extensive review process on all sorts of thermal paste. Read his results and compare for yourself.

That's fine, There is at best a few degrees diff between the best and the worst. I have used other brands from the lowest cost stuff that comes free with the heatsink to some high end stuff. And never experienced any problems with any brand. Just because there may be something better out there doesn't mean as5 doesn't work well in all but the most extreme situations. As5 is undoubtedly the highest recommended and most often used thermal paste on the market.

With that said calling me irresponsible for recommending it does not speak highly of tech-forums attitude towards it's members or your ability to be polite and informative. This is the second time I have felt insulted by you without justification or warrant.

In Soulphire's thermal pastes review there was between a 6C and 9C difference in temperatures between the Tuniq stuff and the AS5. And even if the difference is smaller as you say, there's still no reason to recommend the AS5 since the TX2 will perform a couple degrees better (and for a lower price).

I can't find any other tests or reviews to support such large temperature differences, so rather than allowing myself to have my knowledge discredited anymore I will cease my involvement in this subject.

I think AMD calls it "Cool 'n Quiet" in the BIOS. Try disabling that, and it should kick it up to the full speed.

I have an HP computer with a sort of similar problem. I have an AMD Phenom II 6 core processor how do you disable the "cool'n quiet"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom