Help Buying New Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalls0224

Baseband Member
Hey all,

My laptop of 3 years just crapped out on me and I need a replacement. I mostly watch videos on my laptop but I like to play some games on it as well (e.g. Dragon Age and I'm looking forward to Mass Effect 3). I think I have narrowed it down to 2 choices:

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire TimelineX AS3830TG-6431 Notebook Intel Core i5 2410M(2.30GHz) 13.3" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 5400rpm NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

and

Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y570 (08622MU) Notebook Intel Core i5 2410M(2.30GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 750GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M

My main concerns are battery life and performance. I know that the Lenovo has a better graphics card 555m vs. 540m. But my questions are: is that worth the sacrifice on battery life? Will Nvidia Optimus make the battery life for video playback more comparable? How much better is the Lenovo than the Acer? Is there another machine that does better for around the same price?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would assume the lenovo would be much more well made than the Acer. I would not recommend an Acer laptop.

I have an Acer laptop, nothing wrong it. Before then I had an Acer netbook. Besides, TimeLineX is one of their high-end series. It's gonna be a decent build quality.

Still, I agree with you that he should get the Lenovo (better GPU).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom