Fan Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
How many people use fan filters? Do you use them on the intake fans as well as the exaust fans? What kind work the best? I know they slow down the amout of air coming in/leaving, are they worth it? What is your opinion onf fan filters?

I protect my PC from harmful air contaminants by wrapping it in plastic sheeting with duct-tape! :) :)

Seriously, though...I never use filters for two reasons. 1. I'm pretty good about giving things a cleaning blast of air once in a while. 2. Filters tend to get clogged up with dust, then the airflow goes down, then the system gets funny.

the amount of air thats blocked by filter prolly hurts more then it helps.

i would however use a custome filter of my own - example) a filter in the shape of a cube or a cylinder, with open spot at the bottom to put the fan, that way there is 5x the amount of avalible air flow threw a cube[cause 5 sides] then a normal flat material laying ontop of the fan... only for intake fans. i would use a filter for outtake but one less dense that alows a lot of air flow, cause outtake doesnt matter much[interms of filtering].

Don't go with it, they're not worth it. IMO they have no use other than to keep fingers out of the fans.

-Dan The Man

than to keep fingers out of the fans.
That's what the fan grill is for.

If you have your PC in a dusty environment (like a college dorm) then filters are invaluable. You can literally set a box on fire by letting it fill up with dust.

Depends on your situation. If I had only cleaned my PC 4 times a year in my dormatory back in college, it would have caught fire 4 times a year. However, now, in my home, I only have to clean it once in a while, since I have far less dust in my home than my dorm did.

I got one of these during my case mod journey:

http://www.svc.com/mesh-clr-24.html

Put it on the blower fan that's behind the motherboard. It's a fine mesh and didn't really disturb the flow too much and I just mainly didn't want something getting sucked in and blown directly behind the motherboard so it works for my situation, but other than that I wouldn't ever use on of these.....Fan grills REALLY slow down air and can make your fans whine even worse, unless you simply get the wire fan grills which work best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom