Question about changing the computer case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ausername

Beta member
Hi, I don't know much about computers, but I do want to change my Dell XPS210 tower case really bad.

I want to keep all the components inside since my computer still runs pretty well and I don't want to spend money on new components besides a new tower case.

I was wondering is it possible to move all the components from my XPS210 case into a new Azza Mid Tower Computer Case Triton 401?

Thanks alot~:)

Most likely not. Dell uses parts that don't fit standard cases. I tried to take my dimension 8400 apart and put it in a different case. It wasn't going to happen due to the fact the mounting holes for securing the motherboard didn't line up with the motherboard piece on any other case.

So I would be very cautious if you undertake this task.

Most likely not. Dell uses parts that don't fit standard cases. I tried to take my dimension 8400 apart and put it in a different case. It wasn't going to happen due to the fact the mounting holes for securing the motherboard didn't line up with the motherboard piece on any other case.

So I would be very cautious if you undertake this task.

Is the mother board size the only component I have to worry about fitting or are there other components also?

And also if its the motherboard.
Are there any type of ways to check if the mother board will fit before I buy the case?

There seems too be several fitting issues with Dell components into new cases, but are there any ways to find out which case I would be able to transfer my components into? I really do not want to spend money on other components other than the case.

Or has someone transferred their XPS210 components into a different case has a case suggestion for me?

thanks~

The XPS 210 is a slim form factor case right?

Prolly gonna be alot of problems. If the motherboard mounts, the ports at the back might not line up right. The power supply most likely will not mount, and is the disc drive a slim or standard? In addition, if fits, to make everything fit "nice" you might find that dell's power supply connectors are the exact size needed to reach, or extremely close. So...in a bigger case they may not reach. Also, good luck figuring out which pins to connect the front panel to on the motherboard as the motherboard was probably custom produced for dell.

And once you're done, you're left with a machine that has more pci ports on the case than the motherboard can support, where the back panel probably has empty spots on it, where card reader on the front may or may not work, and you're out the cost of the case + shipping and the time it took you.

I personally wouldn't bother with it unless you really need the space for a taller video card or heatsink that won't fit.

Your motherboard is a BTX form factor. Good luck in finding a compatible case nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom