4 Core vs 6 Core for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roark

Lord of Bacon
I understand the consensus that a 4 core CPU is best for current gaming since most games only use 1-2 cores.
However, there has also been indications that upcoming, and very recent, games can utilize 4 cores.

My question: If a game is going to utilize 4 cores, are you not better off getting a 6 core so that you have that extra power for running other programs in the background such as ventrilo, internet browser, iTunes/winamp, etc..?
Or, do current 4 cores (2500k/965BE) have enough processing power to handle a 4 core game as well as a multitude of other programs.

I think the latest Quads have enough power over the Six-Cores.

I think there is more power in a single Quad core than in a Six core.

Could be wrong, but that's why the Intel remain supreme. Has a lot of power per core.

Or, do current 4 cores (2500k/965BE) have enough processing power to handle a 4 core game as well as a multitude of other programs.
This. They have plenty of power (especially when overclocked). Of course, it depends on the game and how optimised it is, but generally you're fine with a four-core.

The issue for the cpu in current games is it's ability to feed multiple high end graphics cards. For example my 920 works well with my 260 but anything less than a 2500k @ 4.0 can easily be proven to limit the output from high end crossfire and sli setups. There is little evidence to show a pc with a mainstream graphics setup needs anything more than a modern dual core however.

4 high-speed cores or 6 low to medium-speed cores (unless you plan on an expensive Intel) . Most newer games will utilize 4 cores but they may not utilize them all at the same time or under the same amount of load. Games will start using 6+ cores in the future, but when they do it will probably be similar to when they started using 4 cores. As in, 4 cores will be used the majority of the time and if more cores are available they will be assigned random minor tasks.

6 cores are just a waste for gaming because 2 of them are generally useless and the 4 that are used are usually running slower and being less productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom