Inexpensive SILENT UPGRADE advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snortle

Beta member
Hi,

I have a computer that I has been rebuilt and up graded over the years. Try as I might, it always ends up a bit noisier than I want. At this point, I want to eliminate all fans and noise. My goal is to eliminate the fans and possibly set myself up to put it all into a miniITX case at some point. It was thinking that I could just replace the motherboard with one of these fanless miniITX motherboard combos and one of those power supplies on the cord. Seem reasonable?

Usage: basic stuff, looking at pictures, videos off a camera, ability to drive high res monitor, look at maps, office surfing

Any suggestions on the mother board/CPU? $100 would be great.
Do I need a video card or is onboard good enough for my meager needs?

Here is what I have now:

MB ECS G41T-M(2.0) 775 G41 ICH7 RT
CPU INTEL|CELERON E3300 2.5G 775 R
VGA XFX|HD-435X-ZAH2 HD4350 1G RT
MEM 2G|KST KHX6400D2/2G R

Western Digital WD320AAKA SATA (3.5in) (Mhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136074B ECS G41T-M(2.0) 775 G41 ICH7 RT)
DVD drive too (3.5in)
Windows 7

Thanx ahead of time,
Snortle

PS: I should probably just give in and get one of those cute mini macs but I just cannot get myself to do it.

I have tried getting silent fans but there is always at least one that still makes a lot of noise. No fans seems to be a more sure path at this point.

There are only 2 fans now: CPU and power supply. I installed the one that came with the CPU. The power supply is a Diablotek 350-Watt ATX PhD series.

Snortle

There are only 2 fans now: CPU and power supply. I installed the one that came with the CPU. The power supply is a Diablotek 350-Watt ATX PhD series.
Well, investing in a nice big cooler (and run fanless - though with no case fans that'll be a challenge) and buying a decent power supply would solve those issues (you'd still have the fan on the power supply, but a good Corsair one is properly silent).

I run these Newegg.com - Noctua NF-B9-1600 92mm Case Fan you can get them in any size and their the most well built, silent and long lasting fans available. I doubt anyone here would disagree that these throughout your pc would solve your noise complaint. I use these in all new system builds because they run well, last long, and no one complains about noise or overheating.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did a little experiment. I unplugged the CPU cooler (did not realize you could do that till I read Yami's fanless comment). The sound is unchanged, so it seems the power supply fan is the culpret. I guess at this point I can get a new power supply or perhaps replace the fan with one of those Noctua fans that Thomas recommends.

Snortle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom