SATA Wierdness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moyer

Solid State Member
Why is my SATA Hdd listed in the removable hardware thing in my taskbar? Is this some nvforce chipset thing? My old mobo was a VIA and it never did this. Anyone have any info or insight?

I dont think its the SATA HDD removal utility. There is an utility to configure the RAID and other properties for SATA drives, maybe that is the application running on your taskbar.

Sign
Codes

Most SATA drives are hot-swappable. Windows detects them the same as it detects USB devices. You could, in theory, just yank the drive out and put a new one in, and the system will just treat it the same as exchanging a thumb-drive. Problem is, if you're like me, my OS is on one of my SATAs...so I don't plan on ripping that sucker out! :)

i dont have any experience with sata drives, so... u say thy are hot swapable, so u can pull out the sata cable and plug it into a different drive... but what about the power cable? is it safe to also unplug the power from the drive so u can remove it from the case?

I had the same HDD (and same installation of Windows :eek: ) on a Asus AV8 Delux - K8T800 Via Chipset, and I never saw the remove hardware thing. Is it possible that the AV8 doesn't support hot swapping? It IS like the best AMD motherboard out right now, so I never considered that it wouldn't support hot swapping, that why the hardware remove dialog surprised me when I switched to an nForce 3 board.

As long as you use the "Safely Remove Hardware" control first, you're fine. Personally I haven't found many uses for hot-swapable SATA drives, since the drives I have pretty much stay put all the time.

As with any hot-swapable device, as long as it has been "detached" by the OS, all you're doing power-wise is unplugging it. If the drive is still crunching away, then it hasn't fully disconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom