Worth Upgrading Graphics Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moisiss

In Runtime
Hey all,

I've been considering upgrading the graphics card in my aging desktop for some medium gaming. I'm interested in playing Shogun 2, Star Wars: the old republic, some first person shooters, etc. Don't need everything maxed out, but I'm afraid my current set-up won't run newer games very well. Here's what I have right now...

CPU: Intel Q6600
Mobo: Gigabyte EP35-DS4
Graphics: EVGA 8800 gt
RAM: 2GB 1066 DDR2
HD: WD 500GB
PSU: Corsair 550w

So I found a good deal on a Radeon HD 6870 and have been thinking about upgading... but is it worth it? I know that I wouldn't be getting the full power out of a newer graphics card, but would I see a difference that would be worth getting it now, or would I be better served just saving for a new machine in 1-2 years?

I would say that yes, it's worth upgrading. Especially for Shogun 2.

You can always upgrade the CPU+mobo+RAM in a year or two if you need to - not like you need to upgrade everything at the same time :)

thanks for the replies!

another couple of questions....

first: is there any difference between these two cards (other than the cooling solutions) that I am missing?

Newegg.com - XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

vs

Newegg.com - XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

second: I bought a Samsung 3d ready LED-LCD a few months ago that I am using as a gaming monitor (amongst other things)... I noticed that the 6870 is supposed to do 3d?... if so, will it work with my tv/glasses?

oh, one more: cp0020, are you saying that it will play most games maxed out even with my older CPU/mobo/ram?

Other than the $5 difference and the different cooling, they're identical. The performance and all the ports are exactly the same. I recommend the one with two fans.

I bought a Samsung 3d ready LED-LCD a few months ago that I am using as a gaming monitor (amongst other things)... I noticed that the 6870 is supposed to do 3d?... if so, will it work with my tv/glasses?
I'm not sure actually, I'm curious as to the answer though.

oh, one more: cp0020, are you saying that it will play most games maxed out even with my older CPU/mobo/ram?
i would say yes for the most part. might want to upgrade to 4 gigs of ram. but a 2.4GHZ quad qore with that GPU... you shouldnt have any problems with running most new games maxed out. only having 2 gigs of ram might...might make a few games have longer loading. but you should be fine.

Yes it is, Shogun 2 is going to require a decent graphics card, and really upgrading a graphics card isnt really that expensive and it will make your gameplay run smoother.

It's always worth putting in better quality parts to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom