Computer problems - shuts off... sorta

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengjo

Baseband Member
Hello
First off all, I want to say that yes, I know the thread is long. Help is VERY MUCH appreciated though!

I have issues with my desktop computer.

First some info on it:

- The computer is about 7-8 months old
- It's a: Packard Bell imedia S3810

Specs:
Prosessor: Intel Core i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz
RAM: 6,00 GB
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT320

I do not know if the above information helps at all, but I'll include it anyway.

To the problem

3 days ago, I bought a new desk. I then took everything a part (unplugging etc...) and put my computer on a table nearby while installing the new desk and taking out the old one. I have done this many times, and I know where everything goes etc, so there's not a chance it's because I put it together in a wrong way or because it somehow broke when I did this, because I am very careful.

So I put the computer back and all and started using it. I've had NO PROBLEMS what so ever when just browsing the internet, watching movies etc... When I play a game (League of Legends), however, the computer stumbles apon some problems.

The problem:

The computer loses it's signal with the monitor (monitor says there's no signal), the sound freezes (by which I mean it stops on that one sound so that you get this strange sound). The computer doesn't shut off, because I see it's still on. But when I click the "Off Button" it turns of the second I click it. If the computer is on and working fine, and you were to turn it off that way (I don't do this, but I know how the computer reacts to it), it'll take like 1-2-3 seconds before it turns off.

Before these 3 days when I switched everything, this would NEVER happen. And I've been playing this game for 5 months without any problems what so ever.

Can it simply be overheating? It's a simple table and I just put the computer on the floor. It's also been hotter than usual outside, but I don't know if this is how a computer acts when getting overheated?

I haven't added anything (hardware-wise) to the computer, it is the way it was when I bought it.

I did a virus scan, and nothing came up.

PLEASE help me, this is killing me.

- Benjamin

Also: Is it normal that the graphic card goes so hot that I can't touch it?

It also says on "SpeedFan" that:

GPU: 73C

While playing the game, I checked and the GPU goes up to 95C!!

Is this overheating?

Yes, this is overheating, also, please try to use the edit button next time. Chances are, you have moved your tower into a space that has less airflow with the new desk, or the heatsink is somewhat clogged up.

Sorry for not using the edit button. I had trouble finding it.

I checked the heatsink, at there was a little (not much at all) dust in there. I vacuumed it out carefully, and move the computer on top of my desk.

The GPU is now idling at 45-50C (while I'm browsing the internet).

I have yet to check how it works while I'm gaming, so I'll come back and find the "edit button" and inform further.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/7426/tfeditbutton.png

Though ironically now that I've posted, you may as well make a new post about it :p
Hehe, thanks!

So the GPU is still running pretty hot while gaming. After 10 minutes it got up to 65, and I believe it was still rising.

Could it be that I should reapply some thermal paste to the CPU or something? I spoke with a friend, and he suggested it. Or doesn't that help much?

I am very certain it's the GPU going too hot, because the computer loses connection to the screen etc. And "SpeedFan" tells me it's pretty hot.

65C is fine while at load. Mine gets up to around 75C, and that's with some not-shabby cooling.

65C is fine while at load. Mine gets up to around 75C, and that's with some not-shabby cooling.

Alright. The problem is I believe it is 65 and rising. Rising to the point of my computer sort of shutting itself off. Meaning it loses connection to the monitor and the sound freezes. Only thing I can do is manually turn it off from there.

If it helps at all, this is idling with only some music running, but as I'm typing this it's around 55 C.
speedfanpicture.png

Thank you for the help by the way, I very much appreciate it! :)

EDIT: Also, the last couple of weeks I have left the computer on at night, watching TV series and livestreams. Every now and then I turn it off though (and keep it off at night every now and then as well).

Could this be something?

I have same problem with mine but only with bf3 alpha when i play that my card gets to 90c. Best thing to do is get some compressed air and blast it and you might want to think about putting some fresh thermal paste on.

EDIT: Also, the last couple of weeks I have left the computer on at night, watching TV series and livestreams. Every now and then I turn it off though (and keep it off at night every now and then as well).

Could this be something?
Unlikely. Every night I have my CPU and GPU going at 100% while running Folding@Home, the whole night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom