Can't get machine to work. Monitor won't fire up. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby7321

Beta member
Ok here is my situation. I've been building computers for a little less than a year. This one here is my 7th machine, so I'm still very new to this. See if you can help me get this thing running correctly.

When I first built this machine, it seemed to run ok. The monitor didn't kick on at first but after a few presses of the reset button it came on. I was able to load windows, etc...
After all that I turn the machine off. Next day I power it up to install some other software and the machine seems to turn on, but the monitor only powers up and then gives the "OFF MODE IN 5 SECONDS" screen and then turns off. Sometimes the monitor won't even power up (light stays orange).

So thinking this is just a video card issue, i send the card back to newegg and get another. Same exact problem continues. I take the whole thing apart and re-build it. Same thing.
I replace the monitor with another monitor, doesnt work. Yet the monitor I was using works fine on other machines.
Not knowing what else to do, I send the motherboard, ram, case, videocard, and hardrive, back to newegg to get all new parts.

Well i put the machine together again, and the same problem!! I even switched the processor with another machine I had built recently and the processor worked fine in that machine.

And NOW even to add to the problem, this machine powers up right when i hit the on/off switch in the back where the power cord connects. It just starts up when that is in the on position, so i really don't know whats going on. I'm sure that minor, but the monitor issue is makng me pull my hair out. I about to just send everything back and refund the customer. But I would like to avoid that.

Please any suggestions are very appreciated. Here are all the components I'm using.

CPU AMD|2700 /333 ATHLON XP RTL
HD 80GB|SAMSUNG 7200/ATA133
CASE ASPIRE|ATXB2KL-BK/350 RETAIL
MB ASUS A7V8X-X/LAN KT400 RTL
DDRAM 256M|PC-2700 990961 MUSHKIN
FD 1.44MB|SONY MPF920 Black
MNTR VWSNC|19" CRT G90FB
DVD+/-RW LITEON SOHW-812S BLACK
DVD|LITE ON 16X SOHD-167T BLACK
GeForce MX 4000 128MB AGP Video Card

Thank you.
-bobby

Yes this is my 3rd video card.

And what should i check for on the PSU? I sent back the case which has th PSU built in, so i thought by getting a new one that would rule that out.

:(

perhaps it is a batch of bad PSU's, try putting in another one... try another computer in the same outlets and with all the same configuration... i cant think of much else, if you are changing everything out with parts you know work you must eventually get to the broken component

if not ive had another idea... take a computer you know works... then take the grafic card from your broken system and try it, then try the cpu, then the PSU, and test each component this way til you find one that wont work.... and voila.

take a computer you know works... then take the grafic card from your broken system and try it, then try the cpu, then the PSU, and test each component this way til you find one that wont work.... and voila
I would say that's your best bet. That way you can officially test each component. Generally though just because you don't see anything on the monitor you can't assume it's the vid card or monitor...you gotta see what your system is doing, does it POST, does the motherboard beep at all? Stuff like that...all those help to determine where the faults lie.

Nubius said:
I would say that's your best bet. That way you can officially test each component. Generally though just because you don't see anything on the monitor you can't assume it's the vid card or monitor...you gotta see what your system is doing, does it POST, does the motherboard beep at all? Stuff like that...all those help to determine where the faults lie.

I agree, an although that would give you a for certain answer as to where the problem is, it sounds like the ONLY thing it could be is your psu. That is the only thing you did not send back. Try another psu before anything else. Also, make sure you have the appropriate wattage for your computer.

ok, im going to see if it gives me any post messages via the speaker beeps.

but i did actually send the PSU back as well, it comes with the case.

I also just tried another PSU from a working machine and it still gives me the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom