I am researching a new gaming power build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digimortal

Baseband Member
I am planning on going with the i7-990x with the ASUS Rampage III Black Edition and first of all I heard there was some problems with the 2600k processor not working with RAM over 1333 MHz so I want to make sure the G.SKILL PI+ Turbulence 1600 (a 6x2 GB kit) will be compatible with the 990x processor (the 2600k said it was compatible with other RAM frequencies but Intel said that using anything other than 1333 voids the warranty).

My second question would be about the video card setup. I was thinking going with 2x GTX 580s in SLI but I wanted to get a third for a dedicated PhysX card. So, my question is, would I have to use a third GTX 500 series or could I use an older, cheaper model so as not to take up another 2 slots and not have to spend another 500 dollars just for a dedicated PhysX card? Apologies if it seems like a very obvious answer, this is the first time I've planned on going with SLI (or any linked video cards for that matter, nVidia or ATI).

Ok, I did some more research and found that the 1600 MHz memory kit will work with the 990x (I didn't really see why it wouldn't but after hearing about problems with the 2600k I wasn't 100%) but I am still wondering about what route I should go with on the SLI and PhysX setup. I'm going to be getting the GTX 580 FTW Hydro-Copper 2 so they only take up 1 slot each and they're liquid cooled but I still don't know what to put in for the PhysX card.

If your planning on going with the i7 990X then why are you worried about what ram works with the 2600K?

I haven't heard anything about Intel voiding any warranties because the user was running memory other than 1333. I think your mistaken.

If you want to know if a kit of memory is compatible then you need to give us a link to the exact memory in question.

You can use any Nvidia card that supports PhysX as a third card, but there's really no need for it with a pair of GTX 580's.

Well, I had just heard a few people had problems with some issues using 1800 with the 2600k so I was just wondering if the 990x had any similar problems. I see you are using 1600 with the 2600k so what I had heard was probably just bad memory or something, I'm not sure. After looking into the 990x a lot more now though I'm thinking it might be better to just go with the 2600k. The only reason I don't really want to is I haven't found any motherboards for the 1155 socket that have such a beautiful layout as the Rampage III BE with the 1366 socket.

What would you suggest (seeing as you've been using the 2600k since before I've been posting on these forums)? I doubt I will be using anything that will be utilizing all 6 cores on the 990x anyways, and the 2600k is a third the price. I just really love that motherboard for the 990x....

The 2600K is a great cpu and I highly recommend it, I just upgraded from a top of the line i7 920 that overclocked better than 90% of all the other 920's made. I also had the 920 paired up with a killer mobo, EVGA Classified E760, so I did consider buying the $1000 6-core. But to be perfectly honest, in my opinion, the 990X just doesn't offer up enough of a performance benefit to warrant the extra price. With the money you save by buying the 2600K you can buy a lot of other stuff. With a top of the line Heatsink ($90-$100) you can run the 2600K in the 4.8GHz to 5GHz range. With a good watercooling loop ($250+) you should be able to run a 2600K at 5GHz+ (so long as all your other components are high quality).

No overclock is a guarantee, but I really haven't heard of anyone having a problem. Personally I think most of the users that don't hit those number are just scared of the possibility :D

I haven't found any motherboards for the 1155 socket that have such a beautiful layout as the Rampage III BE with the 1366 socket.
I just looked and have to agree, the Rampage III is a beaut.
I noticed it is extended ATX, is that what you're looking to stick with?

Other nice layouts to consider with the 1155 socket:
Asus Maximus IV (they make a P67 and Z68 version).
Asus P8P67 WS Revolution, my personal favorite (standard ATX).

I am also building a rig with that same motherboard and intel i7-990x chipset, as with you I had to go the 1366 socket as that motherboard is just too sensual too pass up, not to mention overclocking features. Hopefully this will be completed in the next two weeks (the motherboard is due this week fingers crossed). I have ordered 1600mhz for the ram kit 12gb(3x4gb) from kingston, so if this build is complete and you are still researching which way to go I'll be sure to give you the headsup on this setup.

Buying computer hardware because it looks cool is just crazy.

agreed, unless you care more about the way your computer looks, than the way it performs, by all means, buy harware based on the " ooh " factory... when you are ready to get the most for your money in terms of performance... we will be here willing to help ;)

But,but,but, I did also mention the overclocking features of this motherboard. For the price surely it is not all show and no go (well it won't want to be anyway)... I was simply after a motherboard with both looks and performance, much like my choice in cars. Throw in an i7-990x and that has to be a solid base to build upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom