¿Best video card for the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IcedSteve-o said:
I am going to buy a new video card for my system and i was wondering what the best video card for the money is.
When purchasing any video card, I get the one that is before the sudden price hike. I find there is no sence in purchasing a top of the line video card when :-
* It's going to drop in price in price by 50% in the next 12 months.
* Chipset gets discontinued with in 12 months.

is the 6600 series only going to be PCI-E? or will thy release AGP versions in the near future?

tOny mOnt4n4 said:
i run doom 3 at 80 fps timedemo and in cs:s i get 70-100+ fps online, i dont know about hl2 because it isnt out yet but when it is i should be able to run it smoothly

here are some benchmarks of hl2 for budget cards:
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7826

WTF how r u getting 80 fps in timedemo and 70-100 fps in cs:s
this guy i know has a 9600xt and he can barely run cs:s

i only get around 40 fps in the timedemo
not even geforce 6800 ultra gets 80

bench.gif

so with this overdrive option u get over 3x better performance than the results by tom? interesting. :confused:

That's why I never let something like 'toms hardware guide' tell me whats best....

the 6800's are already out, and I agree that the GT is currently the best value card ATM, with smarshader 3.0 and extreme performance
I think he's referring to the 6600GT's and X700's , those will be released end of november, beginning of December of this year in AGP, well the 6600GT will be I don't know about the X700 but I assume it's around the same.

id have to say htat 80 fps has to be fudged a little, if not alot... especially the cs:s numbers... all i have seen in my times on this forum points to Nvidia for highend, ATI for mid-low end... both have good points and bad, ATI 9800pro/Geforce 5900 and lower go ATI. ATI x800/Nvidia 6800 go for nvidia. IMO

i dont have experience with these new cards, but u may have noticed that he didnt mention what settings he used to get the 80fps etc.

it could be entirely possible.. ex- he might be, on CRT, at 800x 16bit res, no AA/AF, decompressed install directory, custom cmd settings.. etc. and he obviously tweaked doom anyway, as i remember some of u saying its capped at 60fps by default.

OIDanTheManIO said:
Go with an nVidia xFx 5200 266MB. I got it dirt cheap and I like it a lot.

-Dan The Man

he said he wanted to play high end games
if uve got around 200$ go with a 9800pro
if uve got around 400$ go with a 6800gt
if uve got more go for the 6800 u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom