New PC-Trans. from PC to PC-Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingmanRoss

In Runtime
Getting new PC next week.After installing W7(believe I will install 64bit),will I be able to use an Ethernet to link both(believe I read somewhere about network/cable/or external drive)towers and use the w7 easy transfer that way?Reason-no special cable or ext. hard drives avail.Thanks.

Walmart has an easy transfer cable for $17. It operates via USB not the ethernet port.

buy a sata/ide cable for 3 bucks and plug in your old hard drive into your new computer.

or this and use your old hard drive as an external drive

Yes,I do have a wireless router.I am hardwired,my friend(roommate)is wireless.I will trans.my stuff to my new PC,he gets my old tower,I trans. his stuff to my old tower and his old tower will be used as a business PC.If that sounds confusing,lol,welllll,I ain't awake yet as I am writing this.Router is in his room.Ethernet cable goes from mine to router,he is wireless.On that note,I will stop so I do not get really confused,lol.Hey,thanks for the replies.Appreciate it.Yes,it woulda been easier if we could afford the cables,but,monies are short and I know on the re-installs.One last note-My new tower,should I go with (have w7 ultimate)64bit,or stick with 32bit install,as is what I am using at the moment??O,both PC's are W7 Ultimate.O,just found out we will get another Eathernet cable for his,so,we will both be wired,no more wireless.But,either use the wireless router,or,go back to using the hub we had before we got the router.Router is newer,so may stay with that,,Cable modem>wireless router>Eatherneted to both PC's.Oh,we both have to set out PC,s to share,correct???

thats an older computer that only has 2 Gb of memory, so it doesnt really matter. im not sure what tangible benefits you would see.

Ok,here is dummy question-This tower now has 2g DDR2/400mhz/single.Should I NOT add it to the new tower,as it is coming with 2g 800mhz/duel ????If I did that,it would only run at the 400,not the 800,correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom