New Hard Drive boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbfresh

Beta member
I had a 10GB hard drive in my hp pavilion laptop. I created a backup image of my hard drive using Acronis True Image and saved it on my USB Hard Drive.

I bought a new 40GB hard drive for my laptop and restored the image to the new drive. After completing the restore of the hard drive image from my old drive to the new, I installed the new hard drive and booted my computer.

When it boots it gives me the following message:
"Non-system disk, press any key..."

If I hit "any key" Windows XP starts and seems to be functioning correctly.

Other information which may be useful in identifying the problem:
I have a HP Pavilion laptop running Windows XP Professional SP2.
The new drive IS marked as Primary and Active.
It appears as though the drive actually has two partitions (A really small one-15MB (this partition is marked as Primary not Active), which I think is used for when the hard drive goes into hibernate; and the main system partition C: Drive )
There are no floppy or CD disks in my computer which could be causing the "Non-system disk, press any key..." message.

Any idea why I'm getting the "Non-system disk, press any key..." message when booting to my new hard drive? Any suggestions about what I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

change it to Hard drive first... just to make sure.

Also, did u make the 15MB partition urself? or did u partition anything urself?
Because it sounds like its a logical partition.

I did not create the 15MB partition, it already existed on the old drive.

I didn't create any of the partitions. I just copied all of the partitions from my old drive to the new drive.

I'll try making the hard drive first in my boot order and see if that changes anything.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom