Laptop speedtest 10x faster than desktop? help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I'd chime in after reading what c0rr0sive said in regards to wires near your wireless. I have a similar setup with router downstairs and laptop\desktop upstairs. I had to relocate my tv to the other side of the room to fix similar issues with wireless. Also I thought I would mention this as well. D-link DWL-G820 I bought this as opposed to a pci type wireless card and I couldn't be happier. Its fast and has a strong signal.

It is still super slow, I think I will just order that adapter I posted. I have heard nothing but great things. I know its not PCI, but whats wrong with that? unless someone has a good PCI one to recommend.

I have just always had bad luck, but you failed to tell us, what is the signal strength on both systems, and what both system claim that they are connecting to the router at. It very well could be useless to purchase another card.

both are excellent, my desktop says speed:48mbps when I right click and go to the network and sharing center

Curious, have you tried transferring data between the two computers? Your desktop says you are connecting to your router at that speed, your connected at that speed. So a new adapter or an antenna will not really help, something else is causing your issues, most likely electrical interference or other wireless devices in the area that operate on the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

I thought maybe it could be the wireless printer right here, but its off and it still the same speeds. Even did speedtest on my phone, got 5mb/s. :(

List of visible access point(s): 1 item(s) total, 1 item(s) displayed
BSSID BSS Type PHY Signal(dB) Chnl/freq SSID
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
C0-83-0A-2E-71-C9 Infra g -49 1 2WIRE987

sorry it gets messed up when I paste it, but under the dB its -49, and in items chnl/freq it says 1

Compare that number to your laptop and/or phone and see what you get for those values as well.

-69 on the laptop, its on my lap right by my pc. This is actually a different laptop, got 5mb/s on speed test a minute ago on it. UGHHHHH dayum desktop! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom