MS-6430 ver1 boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

annoyed llama

Solid State Member
I've recently acquired a MSI motherboard for use with an old AMD Duron 750MHz processor I had laying around. The board is an MS-6340 version 1. Official specs page here.

The CPU I have runs at a 100MHz FSB.

When I press the power button the fans spin but there there is no video and no beeps from the speaker. I've tried booting with the RAM and video installed, and I've tried booting with nothing installed but the cpu (I did this to try to get the board to throw a rod about not having RAM installed, but still got not beeps). I've tried clearing the CMOS to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any questions please ask.

Thanks in advance.

Well if you powered up the motherboard with the CPU installed and nothing else it sounds like it's the CPU.....try swapping it out with another CPU if you could, or if that's not an option take the CPU out and put power to the motherboard to see if you get any response that way....if you have another motherboard, try the CPU in the other motherboard to make sure it is indeed not the CPU. Other than that it seems like it would be your motherboard if you've already tested fauliness with the other parts. Perhaps your motherboard is grounding out? Did you completely remove the motherboard and put it on something non-electrically conductive when you tried troubleshooting it?

I've tried your suggestions. All is well when I tried in the cpu in another motherboard. I removed the suspect motherboard and placed on the hardwood floor and tried booting that way. Still get the same responses as I got before... absolutely none. Unfortunately I don't have another cpu to try on the suspect board. But I'm fairly convinved that the board is croaked. If you feel the same way then I'm going to pronounce it. Then I'll have it destroyed according to my wishes.

I think the board is a goner if you've tried the CPU and you know for a fact that it works...if you got the same response when you put it on the floor then I suspect your motherboard has passed away :p I'm guessing you got it from a friend or something like that? Is it non-refundable or replaceable?

I got the board from a family friend. They had recently purchased a new machine and I'm pretty much the "give all your old computer stuff to guy" around here. So at least I didn't lose any money on it. Thanks for your advice. I'll probably take the board out and smash with a sledge hammer or something. Nothing releaves tension like that. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom