Help building computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarodare

Beta member
My desktops motherboard fried a couple of weeks ago and since then I've been trying to decide what to do.. buy a new computer or simply get a new motherboard replace anything thats not compatible and salvage what i can from the old one..

What I'm looking at is
ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX630WFK42GM - OEM

Crucial Ballistix sport 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664BA160A

and I want to upgrade my Nvidia 9600 GT with
SAPPHIRE Flex 100328FLEX Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

What do you guys think.. would that be a good route to take? I was gonna take my 500W PSU and 500 GB HDD out of my old desktop. I've never built a computer or even attempted to and I'm not to tech savvy =/ so any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I don't see anything wrong with what you have picked out. First though you may want to post a budget that you want to stay below. Second you may want to look at post your psu brand and info. It may be what fried your other board. So you may want to spend the money on a new one. so it doesn't do the same thing. It may not be the issue, but it would suck to buy the parts and then have them not work or get fried.

I'm trying to keep it below 400 dollars. the PSU says Raptor R500

Also all I really play is wow and I'd like to be able to play on extreme settings with 60FPS or close.

i looked up the psu. It looks like it will handle what you are putting in, but I am not an expert when it comes to it. The other parts look pretty good.

Have you looked to see if that card will possibly work with the on-board graphics. You may want to look into using the Hybrid Crossfire feature. I don't know how it work exactly, but could be nice to look into.

Things to keep in mind:

Buying a new motherboard usually means buying a new copy of windows, unless you had the retail version on your last machine.
(If it was a pre-built dell/gateway/emachine/etc.. you will need a new copy for sure)

You have selected an OEM processor, that means it will not come with the stock heatsink/fan, so one will have to be purchased.
(You may be able to use your old one if it is the same socket type)

Xigamatek is awesome. I have the Dark Knight edition of it in my main system. It keep my OCed i5 760 @ 4GHz at 40C (idle)

Awesome. I've decided to stick with the original Mobo and CPU to keep the cost down. I'm gonna look into the Crossfire X some more to make sure it'll be compatible with the video card I'm purchasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom