Need help building a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CynicalCyborg

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me. I took at IT class back in high school about ~4 years ago where I learned about different aspects of the computer and at the end of the year we built a couple computers for the school. Unfortunately that was 4 years ago and I haven't taken any IT classes or built any computers since then, so the term "rusty" is an understatement.

Now I'm getting ready to build my first PC that I'll actually be using. I haven't ordered the parts yet because the first thing I wanted to do was run em past you guys and see if you spot any compatibility issues (or any issues really) that I may have overlooked. I'm purchasing everything through Newegg so I'll just give the part name with a link to it on Newegg so you can lookup certain specs if you need to.

Case - Newegg.com - AZZA Solano 1000R Black / Red Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Motherboard - Newegg.com - ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU - Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

Video card - Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100338L Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Hard drive - Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Power supply - Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

RAM - Newegg.com - G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2

Cooling device - Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS11X Extreme V-Shaped Dual Heatpipe Design w/120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge

Also getting the CD/DVD drive and a wireless adapter but didn't think those really mattered enough to link.

So please let me know if you see something I might have missed when it comes to all these parts.

Also as I said this is the first computer I've built in 4 years so the actual steps of building are a little fuzzy, anyone have a nice guide they'd recommend reading before attempting to put these parts together? Or if you have any personal tips please feel free to share them.

Thanks guys!

What is this computer's purpose?
As a standard home PC it looks quite good.
However, if you want to do high-end gaming you might want to upgrade the video card.

The 6770 is equivalent to the 5770, #27 on the performance list.

All those parts look pretty good to me. The only potential issue i can see is that your case wont support all eight usb connectors on your motherboard, but i doubt that youll need anymore than the 4 front panel usbs. Also you could get away without the video card as your motherboard comes with somewhat decent onboard video, but that depends on your personal preference. Here is a link to a good computer building guide. How to Build your Own Computer - Illustrated, Step-by-Step Guide

To the person that asked about the purpose of the pc; it is indeed for gaming. I know that there are certainly better cards out there but this one was in my price range and I've heard it runs most games quite well.

And thanks for the guide, I'll be sure to go read it.

To the person that asked about the purpose of the pc; it is indeed for gaming. I know that there are certainly better cards out there but this one was in my price range and I've heard it runs most games quite well.

And thanks for the guide, I'll be sure to go read it.

That looks good, the 6770 is plenty for most gamers.

I have the same CPU/ram/power supply and I'm using a sapphire 6670 GPU and I haven't come accross 1 game that I can't play on high graphics at decent speeds. The witcher 2, gta 4, crysis 2 on extreme, fear 3, Duke nukem and so on. Yeah there are better cards but the 6770 is a great card. May not have better benchmarks than others but who cares... there just numbers. I say go with what you got.

if this is for gaming, i think i would stick with the stock HSF, don't overclock, and use the saved money to buy a better video card.

the $90 you were going to spend, which is about $60 too much anyways would go a LONG way for a video card. heck, just get a normal priced HSF and that $60 saving will get you a 6870
this one is $170 after rebate Newegg.com - XFX HD-687A-ZHFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

that seems like a lot for a case, but it is personal preference. if its the looks you are after, a similarly looked but $90 with free shipping is the storm scout Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

again, that savings can buy you other stuff to make it a real gaming computer.

I wouldn't use the stock unless you plan on not overclocking and don't mind a lot of noise as mine sounded like a small jet engine. I lasted a week with it. Even if you do plan on overclocking you can get away with a cheaper HSF. I got mine for a review but it is a very capable cooler and runs less than $60. Corsair makes a few cheap but effective coolers.

Before I would go for a better GFX card I would get a smaller WD Black drive for my system drive (OS and programs) and use the TB for files and data. Call me old fashioned, but using anything bigger than 500GB for a system drive is asking for trouble. If you could swing it you could look at a SSD of small Black for your OS, another Black for your programs, and then a Blue or Green for basic storage. Keeping your OS on a separate drive than your programs will give you a touch of additional speed as both can be accessed at the same time.

I have the same processor and am using the stock heatsink and not oc'd and I literally cannot hear a thing. Its ultra quiet and I get temps of 29c idle and 55c on full load. Maybe I just got lucky?

I have the same processor and am using the stock heatsink and not oc'd and I literally cannot hear a thing. Its ultra quiet and I get temps of 29c idle and 55c on full load. Maybe I just got lucky?

Or I drew the shortest straw. Most others say it is loud, tough, so I guess you did get lucky on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom