Laptop speedtest 10x faster than desktop? help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
my laptop gets 5mbps while my desktop keeps getting .5 or lower every time. I have an old wireless adapter in the pci slot, should I get a new adapter? Is it something running on my pc? My anti virus is avg, not running. nothing is downloading or anything. thanks guys

Location, Location, Location. Are they the same distance away from the router? Are they both 802.11 B/G/N? What is the manufacturer of the 2?

yes they are both up in my room, a floor above the wireless router (I have ATT DSL, router/modem is all in one). The pci card is linksys, the dell laptop one is just a stock one that came in the laptop. I looked in device manager and my pc one says 802.11 b/g wireless adapter, laptop says dell wireless 1397 WLAN mini card. On my desktop I cant even play a youtube video all the way through

Does your PCI card have a high gain or standard antenna? The antenna in a laptop is normally similar to that of a high gain, as it uses the outside of the LCD panel as the antenna, so it has a large area for your signal to transmit and receive on. What is your signal strength on both systems? Also, what does the wireless card actually say it is connecting at on both systems? On my laptop it shows 37.9Mbps, it's very random, and constantly changing.

Also, if you have a lot of metal/cables around the antenna on the desktop, look at moving it away, or positioning the antenna so there isn't much metal/live wires between it and the router.

I would probably say, if your signal strength is low, go ahead and get a higher gain antenna instead of a USB adapter, as those adapters just suck.

If you dont have wires surrounding your antenna, and it's just a weak signal, this looks to be a really nice one to get. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833998041

It's all up to you in the end, and what you can figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom